Quality of Cat-5e cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Some of you may remember my questions awhile back about extending an ethernet connection between rooms so I can hardwire my HTS (via a gigabit switch) to my router. We are getting close to starting the remodeling project so I'm in the process of purchasing all that we need ahead of the deconstruction/construction of the kitchen/family room.

The cable run will probably be no longer than 50'-60' so would this cable from Amazon be sufficient as I am trying to keep the cost down:

http://www.amazon.com/PTC-Premium-100ft-Cat5E-Certified/dp/B00168DS5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370984701&sr=8-1&keywords=Solid+Core+Cat-5e+cable

I plan on connecting both ends with 8P8C connectors with standard wall plates. The contractor will drop the cable into gang boxes with an extra foot or two hanging out. I'll make the connections and final install.

If that above cable is not sufficient for what ever reason I'm open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
You need to read the reviews and decide for yourself.

Cat 5e cable is fine for what you want to do. IIWY I would just go down to the local big box home improvement store. You won't pay much more, and you will know what you are getting. 100' will cost you less than $20.00.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did read the reviews and it seems that there is some disagreement of whether it is solid core or not. Most of the reviews are very positive but the less than $10 cost for 100' made me a bit nervous. There's lots of brands out there that all seem to say the same thing. I only have one chance to do this right. Price doesn't always equate to quality and in this case I think I just answered my own question...... As always, your advice is very much appreciated.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Cat-5e cable certainly isn't required to be solid core, that's just ridiculous. Most often cat-5e bulk cable is solid core, but patch cables are stranded core all the time and you can buy RJ45 connections which are designed for stranded core.

That said, you can go to your local radio shack or home depot/lowes and generally pick up some decent shorter lengths of cat-5e cable for under 20 bucks or so I would expect. Worth it if you aren't going to buy a box of 500'. Since I personally do this a lot, I get boxes of 1,000' regularly.

For termination at a wall plate, you generally want to terminate at the wall with a punch down end, not a RJ45.

Like this...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051308&p_id=10042&seq=1&format=2

Not like this...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10519&cs_id=1051902&p_id=7302&seq=1&format=2

When in a pinch, I've bought from hardware stores, and I've had excellent results with the cable I bought there, truly no issues at all.

ie: http://www.lowes.com/pd_332456-295-56917643_4294722526__?productId=3332916&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Twenty five bucks, and if it is not proper, you can return it immediately.

$55.00 though and you can get 500' of it!
http://www.lowes.com/pd_60115-295-56917945_4294722526__?productId=3333102&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

IMO, you throw it into storage and over the years you may find use for it... Heck, if you're remodeling now, then why not look for a use for it now?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Cat-5e cable certainly isn't required to be solid core, that's just ridiculous. Most often cat-5e bulk cable is solid core, but patch cables are stranded core all the time and you can buy RJ45 connections which are designed for stranded core.
It is certainly true that nothing requires anyone to use solid wire for HDMI extenders. But it is foolish to use stranded wire where it is not required. For Ethernet networks, there is a restriction on the use of stranded cable. It is to be used only for short patch cables where the flexibility is needed. The reason is simple. Performance depends on the consistency of the cable impedance. That depends on consistency of the geometry. And a more consistent geometry can be maintained with solid conductors than stranded conductors. The same thing applies to HDMI extenders. At 50' you may or may not see a difference in performance. But why take the chance?

FWIW some 8P8C plugs are designed for stranded wire only, some are designed for solid wire, and some claim to work with either. You just have to pick the right ones. And most punch down connections are designed for solid wire only.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I've terminated solid core Cat-5e cable before using the punch down connectors so I'm familiar with that part. Being as this is going to be installed in the walls I'm just making sure that I haven't missed something. Probably being a little over anal about it.