Boardroom setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question pertaining to a corporate boardroom I am setting up. Would it be possible to get a 1920x1200 signal out of an A/B switch that is being fed by 2 VGA cables and being fed into a Cisco C90 with a single link DVI-D cable? Unfortunately most of the laptops that will be used in this room will only have VGA outputs which limits what we can do.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
You will need a converter like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
According t the Specs the Cisco C90 has DVI-I Inputs so al you require is a VGA to DVI-I adapter for your VGA Switch Output!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11304/ps11312/ps11330/data_sheet_c78-628596_ps11422_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #4 of 7 Old 06-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

According t the Specs the Cisco C90 has DVI-I Inputs so al you require is a VGA to DVI-I adapter for your VGA Switch Output!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11304/ps11312/ps11330/data_sheet_c78-628596_ps11422_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Joe

Joe, good find with the data sheet, but I didn't see 1920x1200 in the list of resolutions that the Cisco C90 can handle.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 265
The C90 does support 1290x1200 on the DVI inputs per the data sheet... But only at 50hz. This will then be down converted before it is sent out the door as the highest resolution it supports, in a premium package, is 1920x1080 resolution. This will all still be severely compressed over the connection which is made and lose a fair bit of detail, but is still a great looking product.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11304/ps11312/ps11330/data_sheet_c78-628596.pdf

In my experience, severely overpriced for what you are getting and what you are paying for. The Polycom HDX8000 integrators package which includes a HD camera looks phenomeal for the money and is by far a much better valued product with top shelf quality.

Both of these units are working with the ever-vanishing framework which is VTC standards. As industries, and more importantly, the government moves to PC based collaboration systems, the need for the fully integrated CODEC is shifting away.

Obviously it depends on your exact needs, but even going with the C90 is something that almost never makes sense unless you plan on running a ton of sources right to it instead of putting in some sort of matrix switcher ahead of it, which may very well be a far more cost effective and versatile solution.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

He said he has a DVI-D cable. Replacing it might be a pain. If it is feasible to replace it, a simple adapter will do, if not, he needs a converter.

It should be simple enough to reconfigure the displays on the laptops to a resolution the C90 supports.
Joe Fernand likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks all. The C90 was made available internally so the cost was minimal to the client. Yes we are going to use the C90 to run the entire room. It will feed 5- 42" monitors plus a projector. I was going to feed the first via DVI and daisy chain them (DVI) but now client wants to use a HDMI hub to feed them. It will be fed 6 mics as well. We gave the client plenty of options but they didn't want to pay for a full digital upgrade with new matrix switchers and the like so this is where we are...

I was reading on another thread yesterday the max res a vga cable will be able to give me is 1600x1200. Any truth to this? I was hoping to have an input box on the table that had a HDMI input, a VGA input fed by the A/B switch and a mini audio input with a DVI output running directly to the CODEC. Is this possible? If need be I would forego the HDMI input and use the adapter suggested above. With the wide range of laptops being used I have to stick with VGA but would like to also keep an eye toward the future (HDMI).

Please poke holes in this, again these are ideas and I don't know if what I want to accomplish is feasible so all input is appreciated.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page