HDMI 1.2 Receiver in a 1.4 world... will it work or compromise quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Marantz sr7001 - with HDMI 1.2 and my projector, circa 2006 has finally taken a dive and I'm looking to upgrade to a new one, which seems that all of them are on the HDMI 1.4 standard.

Being a total neophyte on this, are there issues that I will encounter upgrading to a new tv/projector with the HDMI 1.4 standard, i.e., compromise picture, will it produce 3d, etc?

If so, are there solutions to bypassing the receiver direct from the cable box, dvd player, xbox to the tv? (I suppose that is why there are so many hdmi connectors on most new tvs, to bypass an older receiver?

Thanks for your help and thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Ignore the Version numbers and instead look for the Feature support you require - http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx#shop

If you go for a 3D capable Display your best option is likely a 3D capable BD player with dual HDMI Outputs – one for 3D direct to the Display and one for audio to the AVR.

The rest of your Sources will be fine wired as they are via the AVR.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
The OP will have some issues if they want to add more HDMI devices - the sr 7001 only has 4 HDMI inputs. Since it is an older receiver, it does not support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA. He could find a blu-ray player with analog outputs and connect to the multichannel inputs on the back of his receiver.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
There's no need for the receiver to decode HD audio. Most BD players do just as good a job decoding HD audio into LPCM over HDMI as a modern receiver would, and the improvement to sound quality provided by Audyssey would not be available when using the multichannel analog inputs. If the receiver has enough HDMI inputs for the current hardware configuration, no additional ports will be needed until more HDMI player devices are acquired.

I agree with previous posters that a BD player with dual HDMI outputs (one to the projector for video, one to the receiver for audio) is a reasonable solution until funds are available to upgrade the receiver. It does imply that the projector would need to have at least two HDMI inputs, though -- one for the BD player's output and one for the receiver's output from other video sources. A third HDMI input might be needed if a cable or satellite decoder or DVR box is involved. They often have HDMI sync problems when fed through a receiver.

FWIW, the "obvious" dual port BD players to consider are the Sony BDP-S790, the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 and the Oppo 103. The Sony and Panasonic players cost between $200 and $300, while the Oppo is about $500. The Sony player has more streaming options than the Panasonic, but the Panasonic player provides 7.1 analog audio outputs.

Selden
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks all for this... last question however. I bought a new LG 55LA7400, and I don't need a Blue Ray - as I very rarely watch DVDs and with all of the apps of the Smart TV and OnDemand for Comcast, I don't need it. In fact, if I read right, I only need to do this if I plan to use the 3D functions of the TV, and if not, I can run one HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv and one from the cable to the receiver?

So the question is, do I run an HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV, and then audio cables (optical?) from the cable box to the receiver for sound? Would I do the same for an Xbox. As of today, I can't think there is anything else that I might use.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180

Monoprice made a BD player?
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page