Split HDMI to HDMI video and RCA and/or 3.5mm audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I work at a school and am looking for a device that will split the HDMI video and audio coming from our Apple TVs to send the video over HDMI to the HDMI port on the wall plate, and then up to the projector, and split the audio off into either RCA (preferable) or 3.5mm audio so I can hook that to the wall plate and send it to the sound systems. Something around $20-$30 would be most preferable. The teachers' computers already use the 3.5mm jack on the wall plate, but they can either learn to switch them out, or maybe I could use a splitter to send 2 inputs in? Just looking for some advice and product recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-20-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Something like this?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 270
With AppleTV, you can use the HDMI output just for video if you would like, then use a Toslink cable (digital optical) for the audio, and convert that to L/R audio on RCA jacks.

This is the converter which will do it...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4WPXA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A toslink cable is a few bucks...
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371781285&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+optical+audio+cable

and a RCA cable is a few bucks, but if you have one laying around, use that instead of spending your money on this...

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-13040-Velocity-Extension-Meters/dp/B0002J1TUE/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371781344&sr=1-23&keywords=rca+audio+cable

Must admit the reviews of the ViewHD product listed in the prior post seem solid, but either solution should work just fine for your setup. A bit cheaper for what I listed, but not really a ton of difference.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-21-2013, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Be aware that separating the Video and Audio signal paths could result in your Video and Audio being out of Sync – I’m assuming your ‘stereo’ audio system lacks the ability to delay audio, a feature most systems with a digital audio Input will provide.

If required you can add in a relatively inexpensive Stereo audio delay ahead of your Amp.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page