Can I push a analog signal over a HDMI cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I have an old laptop running my new Home Theatre. It is essentially VGA through the laptop to my Sony projector. The problem I face is that the electrician did not put in a big enough conduit for me to get the VGA cable up the wall and across the roof to the projector. However it is big enough to carry the HDMI cable. So I was hoping to push the video signal over the HDMI cable. So it will be VGA through HDMI to VGA. Can this be done and if so using what devices?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I suspect so as there are "connector adapters" that are sold for that kind of "thing". Of course, the image quality might be an issue with any degree of length.

PS. might add... get a short cable length to at least try it before pulling any cabling in to confined spaces.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
post #4 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbey View Post

Hi

I have an old laptop running my new Home Theatre. It is essentially VGA through the laptop to my Sony projector. The problem I face is that the electrician did not put in a big enough conduit for me to get the VGA cable up the wall and across the roof to the projector. However it is big enough to carry the HDMI cable. So I was hoping to push the video signal over the HDMI cable. So it will be VGA through HDMI to VGA. Can this be done and if so using what devices?

cheers

An easier (and analog) way to do this would be to convert VGA to component video. Then run the component video cables through the conduit without the plugs. Attach the RCA plugs after running the wire through the conduit. Smaller than either HDMI or VGA and has the advantage of using the correct type of cable. HDMI was not made for analog video signals.

To convert to component video you'll need an adapter that can handle the appropriate resolution.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

An easier (and analog) way to do this would be to convert VGA to component video. Then run the component video cables through the conduit without the plugs. Attach the RCA plugs after running the wire through the conduit. Smaller than either HDMI or VGA and has the advantage of using the correct type of cable. HDMI was not made for analog video signals.

To convert to component video you'll need an adapter that can handle the appropriate resolution.

Something like this
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=6025&seq=1&format=2
post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 AM

No, that is only for a projector that accepts VGA over component (very rare). You would need an active device that converts VGA to component.

More information in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1171017/making-your-own-vga-component-video-adapter
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Something like this might work.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 258
A VGA extender over cat-x cable is a very good solution.

You can also get unterminated VGA cable and put the end on yourself. Or use mini-HR cable (5-wire RGBHV) and put the ends on yourself.

You can get a VGA to HDMI converter and just connect HDMI to your projector. Not sure why you didn't list this as an option.

I know I would run mini-HR cable, but that's because I have a few hundred feet of it sitting around and the tools to terminate it properly.

But, you certainly have some options.

How large is the conduit which was run?

I mean, something like this will take the VGA signal to HDMI and that should just work with your projector I would expect.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Video-1080P-Converter-Adapter/dp/B008COJXHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372313550&sr=8-1&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+converter

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page