HELP!! HDMI to RCA Component Cable! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heres the skinny... I have this old television that, in all respects, is a dinosaur compared to most new tv's. Its big and heavy and a pain. BUT, this is a reliable, built ford tough HDTV flatscreen. this thing was built before hdmi was the standard and there isnt even a vga hookup. what im asking is....as long as the hd connectors work can i get an HDMI to a HD RCA component cable to work? im moving soon and it would be a real shame to have to leave it behind just because i couldnt get my laptop hooked up to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneagebeauty View Post

Heres the skinny... I have this old television that, in all respects, is a dinosaur compared to most new tv's. Its big and heavy and a pain. BUT, this is a reliable, built ford tough HDTV flatscreen. this thing was built before hdmi was the standard and there isnt even a vga hookup. what im asking is....as long as the hd connectors work can i get an HDMI to a HD RCA component cable to work? im moving soon and it would be a real shame to have to leave it behind just because i couldnt get my laptop hooked up to it.

No. HDMI is digital. Component video is analog. You'll need a device to convert. That device may be more expensive than a new TV (depending upon the TV's size).

If you go through the archives you'll find the name of such a device but, while not illegal (as in go to jail), it is against the HDMI adopters agreement. Your case is a perfect example of why it should be allowed but it is not. HDMI was intentionally designed to prevent decoding into HD analog video formats.

BTW, TVs used to be built by Ford - Philco Ford. They weren't really tough or reliable in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philco
Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 380
If it is your laptop you are looking to hook up to the display, and your laptop has a VGA output on it, then you can get a VGA to component converter...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8668&CAWELAID=1329457057&catargetid=320013720000010976&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKTS3Y-qjbgCFYuf4AodTWAAOw

But, I agree with the previous poster that this really just doesn't make much sense. A TV that doesn't have a DVI, VGA, or a HDMI connection on it is not designed to work with a PC at all, it is designed to work with component video sources, such as cable TV, so it makes a nice TV for a second bedroom, but not so much for newer digital sources such as Blu-ray Disc.

What your situation calls for and what you really need will determine how you handle this, but it sounds like it is just time to move on and make an upgrade.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.