Hope someone will be kind enough to help- HDMI for Dummies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We will be redoing our family room and buying either a Samsung F8000 or 8500- still debating. Bought a new Yamaha receiver and will be getting a new Bluray, etc. I understand that the cable box, Bluray, etc. all must be hooked up to the receiver which then goes out to the TV, and made sure to et a receiver that has pass through so if I just want to use the cable box and not the receiver for simplicity I can (my Mom uses it a lot and would have trouble with all the gadgetry).

My receiver is wireless ready but I need an Ethernet connection- which I know means I either need an Ethernet adaptor or need to run an Ethernet cable line to it. Any recommendations there? I know Netgear makes an adaptor and there is also an airport express, which has been suggested as an option.

Anyway, I checked out Monoprice's HDMI cables. Not seeing much in the way of High speed cables with Ethernet, unless I am missing something (only some very long ones). Then I was reading about their Redmere cables- are they a good option- or is the unidirectional feature a problem? What about the audio return fro the TV to the receiver- is that a problem with those cables? And if I use the Redmere cables- I assume it goes from receiver to TV- but what bout receiver to cable box, Bluray, etc.- does everything else go from the device to the receiver in direction?

Sorry for what probably are very basic questions, but I can't seem to find an explanation online that I can clearly understand. It all seems so complicated!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Don't worry about HDMI with Ethernet. There aren't any devices that use Ethernet via HDMI anyway.

As for using Ethernet with your receiver, something like this would work if you don't want to get a Wireless adaptor for it specifically: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WES610N-4-Port-Dual-Band-Entertainment/dp/B0056VP0KS

If you have a cable box then ARC is not an issue, the HDMI connection goes from your Cable Box to your Receiver where the audio is processed and send to your speakers.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Source to AVR via HDMI – tends to be the norm these days, though possibly not as simple as you want for TV audio!

TV audio – if you have an AVR with standby HDMI Passthru you may find you hit a problem if your Source is set to HD Video + 7.1/5.1 audio via HDMI (ideal for the AVR) unless your TV also supports 7.1/5.1 via HDMI (most don’t!).

HDMI Ethernet Channel – as Osirus23 says is a dead duck so don’t fret over it.

ARC (allows you to listen to the TV audio via the AVR) – in theory all HDMI cables will support ARC – in practice we have found a few (usually older designs) which don’t so ensure you pre-test any cable you intend to ‘install’.

RedMere – is a cable extender/make them thinner solution so something to possibly consider if you are going long (greater than 8m at a minimum!). Personally I’d avoid them as any unnecessary electronic circuitry is best avoided with HDMI.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #4 of 4 Old 07-18-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by m61376 View Post

We will be redoing our family room and buying either a Samsung F8000 or 8500- still debating. Bought a new Yamaha receiver and will be getting a new Bluray, etc. I understand that the cable box, Bluray, etc. all must be hooked up to the receiver which then goes out to the TV, and made sure to et a receiver that has pass through so if I just want to use the cable box and not the receiver for simplicity I can (my Mom uses it a lot and would have trouble with all the gadgetry).

My receiver is wireless ready but I need an Ethernet connection- which I know means I either need an Ethernet adaptor or need to run an Ethernet cable line to it. Any recommendations there? I know Netgear makes an adaptor and there is also an airport express, which has been suggested as an option.

Anyway, I checked out Monoprice's HDMI cables. Not seeing much in the way of High speed cables with Ethernet, unless I am missing something (only some very long ones). Then I was reading about their Redmere cables- are they a good option- or is the unidirectional feature a problem? What about the audio return fro the TV to the receiver- is that a problem with those cables? And if I use the Redmere cables- I assume it goes from receiver to TV- but what bout receiver to cable box, Bluray, etc.- does everything else go from the device to the receiver in direction?

Sorry for what probably are very basic questions, but I can't seem to find an explanation online that I can clearly understand. It all seems so complicated!

Thanks

You've gotten some good explainations above this one. One thing to remember is to keep things as simple as possible. Start out with the AVR to TV connection. Will you be using 3D at all? If so, make sure both the TV and the AVR are 3D-capable. If one or the other is not, then it won't work. Basically for HDMI everything must support an option or the option is not available.

Also for HDMI the audio and video go only in one direction. The signal that tells your sources what capabilities the TVs have (or the AVR has) goes in the other direction. A passive HDMI cable can be plugged using either direction. An active cable, such as a Redmere HDMI cable can only be plugged in the direction of the arrows on the connectors for the audio/video signal (the cable will also handle the reverse direction "EDID" transmissions). You always want to use a High Speed HDMI cable. Redmere should only be used when a passive High Speed HDMI cable cannot be used due to length or flexibility or width of the cable. Good choice with Monoprice.

As has been pointed out, just because you plug in an Ethernet cable doesn't mean you have Ethernet over HDMI. In fact you can't find any component that actually includes HDMI over Ethernet. So, you can skip that.

ARC is used for sending TV audio back to your receiver. Will you be using that option?

Finally, try to use short HDMI High Speed cables for your sources to the AVR, if you can.

There is a lot of information on this forum in the thread archives using the search function if you did not get your questions answered here.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page