Cat-6 Testing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Ok, the remodeling is about to begin. I've purchased a 100' spool of solid wire Cat-6 to extend the ethernet connection from the router in another room to a gigabit switch in the soon-to-be-remodeled family room. As soon as the cable is installed, I will wire it to the keystone jack. That would be the best time to test the connection while they are still remodeling, wiring the kitchen etc. What would be the best way to check the connection to make sure that all is well before they close everything up and move onto the next phase? I have a gigabit router on one end and will be using a gigabit switch on the other end. We have a 20Mbps DSL line and I can usually get a consistent 15-16Mbps download speed wirelessly using my ISPs speedtest app. If I get the same speeds wired, can I assume that all is well for now and the immediate future?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
You can get a basic and inexpensive tester that will check for connectivity and ensure you have the wires in the right order. I would think this should be fine for most any home application.

If you want to actually test for bandwidth and throughput and/or certify that you can get gigabit speeds then that equipment will cost you several hundred dollars.

I haven't used these particular items personally but this will give you an idea of some of the types of testers available. Monoprice is always a good place to start for affordable prices which is why I included the link.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10524

The base/remote units are helpful for identifying cables if you run a bunch of them to a central location and get them mixed up.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

If I get the same speeds wired, can I assume that all is well for now and the immediate future?
No, because you can achieve those speeds on a 100BASE-T connection using only two pairs. You need to verify that you have a 1000BASE-T connection which uses all four pairs.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

No, because you can achieve those speeds on a 100BASE-T connection using only two pairs. You need to verify that you have a 1000BASE-T connection which uses all four pairs.

I kinda thought you'd say that frown.gif . What about the testers mentioned above or should I just leave well enough alone if connection is strong and stable? I don't need to be spending a lot of money for a one time thing when it's mostly an academic curiosity.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 272
$10 for a tester to check for connectivity certainly isn't a lot. If you have an office you work at, you may want to shoot out an email to see if anyone has something you can borrow for a weekend. It's one of those things I own, which I would be happy to lend out to someone if needed for a week or two so they could check their connections.

Of course, to check actual data rates through a system on a handheld device to my knowledge still requires something like a Fluke product which costs thousands of dollars, which probably isn't what you are looking to spend.... smile.gif

But, a basic wiring check certainly is worthwhile to ensure that no wires are damaged and all conductors are solid.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

What about the testers mentioned above or should I just leave well enough alone if connection is strong and stable?
IIWY I would connect a PC at the far end and see if the connection works and what speed connection is reported by the operating system. In Windows, you can check it through Control Panel. If it reports the expected speed, you are good to go.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok. Cool. Two good suggestions. I'll check with my IT guys for a simple tester and the the pc thing I was planning on doing anyway.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page