Which one is proven to work? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
By the way I hooked it up and everything is working as it should. I have an older plasma TV a 2006 model right now before my new Panasonic arrives. Plugged up the sound bar ran the sound from the TV into the bar and was just getting 2.1 stereo by the indicator lights on the front of the bar. I then ran the optical from the switch to the sound bar and used the HDMI out from the switch to the TV. I put the dip switches in the position that the technical support at Mono price advised me to. The lights on the front of my Sombart turned green which according to the manual represents Dolby digital source received and is being decoded.

So far so good have not gotten any programs with DTS digital yet which are represented by an orange set of lights. not sure which programs broadcast with that format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiant75 View Post

Can you elaborate please not sure what you mean?

I had a less elaborate setup than yours but also a much easier to access setup. I was using this HDMI switch:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8463&seq=1&format=2

I had all of my sources going to the switch. From there, I outputted the switch to the HDMI IN on my soundbar. Finally, HDMI OUT from the soundbar went to my TV. It worked for about a month and a half and then I began having issues. I returned it for another unit and that worked fine for about 2 months before the same problems returned. I don't know whether it was a firmware issue or a handshake issue or whatever. I got sick of having to unplug everything to try to reset it so I ended up connecting everything to the TV via HDMI and then outputting the TV to the soundbar via optical. Much simpler. My soundbar is only a 2.1 system so any sound degradation is negligible.

I can't speak of your specific switch but I can confirm that Monoprice has a great return policy if you have any issues.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #33 of 37 Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

I had a less elaborate setup than yours but also a much easier to access setup. I was using this HDMI switch:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8463&seq=1&format=2

I had all of my sources going to the switch. From there, I outputted the switch to the HDMI IN on my soundbar. Finally, HDMI OUT from the soundbar went to my TV. It worked for about a month and a half and then I began having issues. I returned it for another unit and that worked fine for about 2 months before the same problems returned. I don't know whether it was a firmware issue or a handshake issue or whatever. I got sick of having to unplug everything to try to reset it so I ended up connecting everything to the TV via HDMI and then outputting the TV to the soundbar via optical. Much simpler. My soundbar is only a 2.1 system so any sound degradation is negligible.

I can't speak of your specific switch but I can confirm that Monoprice has a great return policy if you have any issues.

Ah ok I got you. Well yeah you're right, I hope I don't run into any of those issues. Seems like you save money and space with a sound bar versus a receiver and 5.1 speakers, but you sometimes end up paying more with frustration like you did.

Not real sure if I can tell a difference between this 5.1 speaker bar and a 2.1 so.........did put on a movie broadcast on showtime or stars and it sounded damn good. Bass shakes the room deep and clear which surprised me since its only an 8 inch. Used to have a 10" with my old 5.1 system so I was surprised. Got some phantom "surround" effects but haven't played around with it too much.

Like you said, hopefully nothing weird happens and this thing doesn't just stop working out if the blue. Yeah, the 30 day return policy is nice with monoprice. I usually try to buy on Amazon because they are so good customer service wise and their return policy. I bought this directly from Monoprice though do we will see how things go.
post #34 of 37 Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiant75 View Post

By the way I hooked it up and everything is working as it should. I have an older plasma TV a 2006 model right now before my new Panasonic arrives. Plugged up the sound bar ran the sound from the TV into the bar and was just getting 2.1 stereo by the indicator lights on the front of the bar. I then ran the optical from the switch to the sound bar and used the HDMI out from the switch to the TV. I put the dip switches in the position that the technical support at Mono price advised me to. The lights on the front of my Sombart turned green which according to the manual represents Dolby digital source received and is being decoded.

So far so good have not gotten any programs with DTS digital yet which are represented by an orange set of lights. not sure which programs broadcast with that format.

No programs broadcast with DTS.

DTS is used for DVD, Blu-Ray, specially marketed CDs, video games and some netflix-type movie distributions.
post #35 of 37 Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

No programs broadcast with DTS.
DTS is used for DVD, Blu-Ray, specially marketed CDs, video games and some netflix-type movie distributions.

Okay that's good to know I guess I will see if that switch sends that decoded DTS to the sound bar after I buy my Blu-ray player. I was just reading about it online before you respond it and that's sort of what I was figuring.

Any good recommendations on Blu-ray players, any brands or models to stay away from? I was looking at a Panasonic BDT220. That's really the only one I was checking out reading reviews on.
post #36 of 37 Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I really like OPPO units but I suspect that's more than what you want to spend. Panasonic has good models as does Sony.

One really good thing to do before buying is to go to the "owners only" forum for that model in the AVSForum and see what other users think. If you see a lot of firmware issues, then it's probably one to stay away. Of course, all Blu-Ray players need firmware updates occasionally - although it seems like the rate of the updates has reduced recently.
post #37 of 37 Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I really like OPPO units but I suspect that's more than what you want to spend. Panasonic has good models as does Sony.

One really good think to do before buying is to go to the "owners only" forum for that model in the AVSForum and see what other users think. If you see a lot of firmware issues, then it's probably one to stay away. Of course, all Blu-Ray players need firmware updates occasionally - although it seems like the rate of the updates has reduced recently.

Yeah I'm really excited not only to get this new Panasonic plasma because of the rave reviews, but I have never in my life have seen the Blu-ray movie.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page