HDMI 1.4 Repeater/extender - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-25-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having issues with a longish run of HDMI (30 feet). When the cable is connected directly to my Denon 3312, in output 2, I get no signal to the far TV. If, however I have the cable hooked up to my 1x2 hdmi matrix switch it generally works. Obviously with the 3312 i dont need the switch since it has two hdmi outputs but I wanted a suggestion for a hdmi repeater that would be compliant with HDMI verion 1.4 so that the ARC feature is supported.

I'd rather try this solution first before thinking about going to a balun (hdmi over cat5/6). Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked: 87
Check that the 3312 is setup to native resolution not (1080p) then set one of you sources to 1080i or 720p. Does the signal to the TV work? It should even at 30 feet.

You might consider the Redmere high speed cable as an alternative.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
ARC (like the rest of the available features) is optional so forget about looking for HDMI version support and look for ’Feature’ support.

ARC support on HDMI extenders is still relatively rare.

If I read the AVR manual correctly you can only have ARC enabled on one HDMI port of the AVR – is the TV on the 30’ HDMI cable the one you require ARC support on?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. My 3312 is set up to 'Auto' on resolution both of my displays are 1080p capable with the i/p scaler turned on for all sources. Also, all of the inputs are set to HDMI or Analog or HDMI pending on the choices for each individual input. For example, my AppleTV had an Analog and HDMI options so I chose HDMI. My DirecTV box had 'HDMI or Analog' and just 'Analog' alone so I selected 'HDMI or Analog' option. Still nothing on display 2 (far TV).

Joe the far TV does not really need ARC so i guess i can get an extender that is HDMI version 1.3 capable to so i still retain the 1080p capability.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-27-2013, 04:14 PM

My point was trying to test the 30' cable. So, let's try this. Connect the 30' cable from the DirecTV box to the TV. No scaler, no receiver, nothing but satellite receiver, 30' cable and TV. Set the DirecTV receiver to 1080i first (you'll probably have to uncheck 720p and 1080p) and see if that works. If it works, then select 1080p. See if that works.

If both work, then your cable is probably fine. If 1080i works but 1080p doesn't, then you probably need a better cable. If neither work, then you have a bad cable.

If both work, then you can add the receiver next. If that works then add the scaler. etc etc. Add one thing at a time to try to pin down the source of the problem.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

‘i can get an extender that is HDMI version 1.3 capable’ – again avoid any references to HDMI Version numbers and look for the Features you require.

By now manufacturers should have moved away from using Version numbers – it’s been ‘banned’ by HDMI.org since Jan 2012.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/trademark_logo_pub.aspx

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I am getting into this a little late but to get 1080P out of a DirecTV box it's called Pay per view. I use a Monoprice pro splitter to do something like this. Have an Onkyo AVR with 2 HDMI out puts and 2 3D panels, and found that with just one set on and it did not mater which one, the 3D was real missed up, both sets on it was fine. I had the pro splitter in the system before the new Onkyo that worked great with the old Onkyo so put in back into service. I did this as a test just by switching cables so it was an easy redo. The Monoprice pro splitter is a 1.4 HDMI spec or was as I see that the spec # have been dropped, powered splitter and I run the main HDMI output from the AVR to the splitter. I have one question I wonder about? I have never seen anything in the DirecTV DVR's menu that gives you a choice of what it outputs. So I am assuming it on your AVR and its an input, that has it and I see you have it as HDMI or Analog. If you can't have it a HDMI only I think maybe switching ports to one that has an HDMI input selection only and see what happens. I don't think that an analog signal can be carried over HDMI systems.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 AM

The DirecTV DVRs have a screen where you can select 480p, 720p and/or 1080i. There is a check box next to each one to select. Once you select a new resolution then you can test the resolution. The next screen allows the user to accept the new resolution or return. The menu is under setup and also appears with their setup wizard. The key here is to uncheck the ones you don't want. That way those resolutions will never be sent.

If an HDMI connection is detected, a 1080p box is allowed as well. If native is not selected, then 1080p will be used for all channels (not just PPV). For 3D, HDMI must also be selected. Of course on DirecTV 3D is done has 1080i or 720p, SbS or TaB, except for PPV 3D which is done at 1080p (I forget if TaB or SbS). These formats are very different than the 1080p/24 3D that a Blu-Ray player produces.

Remember just saying 1.4 HDMI spec doesn't mean 3D is included. Use of the spec number to specify a capability is no longer allowed. So 3D passthru must be specified for 3D to be supported with a switch.

HDMI is a digital-only spec. No analog.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried your Source direct to each TV and gone through the various Output Options on the Source to ensure both TV’s support the format you wish to Output?

Remember too that you want to be powering all kit Off at the wall whenever you are making any connectivity changes on the HDMI signal bus!

Joe

post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

My point was trying to test the 30' cable. So, let's try this. Connect the 30' cable from the DirecTV box to the TV. No scaler, no receiver, nothing but satellite receiver, 30' cable and TV. Set the DirecTV receiver to 1080i first (you'll probably have to uncheck 720p and 1080p) and see if that works. If it works, then select 1080p. See if that works.

If both work, then your cable is probably fine. If 1080i works but 1080p doesn't, then you probably need a better cable. If neither work, then you have a bad cable.

If both work, then you can add the receiver next. If that works then add the scaler. etc etc. Add one thing at a time to try to pin down the source of the problem.

I do recall trying this (DirecTV box straight to far TV) last year and from what I can remember it worked as intended in any resolution. I'll have to go back and try again just to be sure. Also for some reason when I use the 1x2 powered splitter the far TV works fine, as i mentioned in the OP. Similarly, putting the main TV (a short run of HDMI) in output 2 worked fine (conversly putting the far TV in output 1 did nothing to help the problem). So that would indicate that both outputs are working ok and the cable is in decent condition that is why I assumed that the long(ish) run of HDMI was the culprit.

As far as the input selection I actually didn't change it from the factory settings. I think the 3312 has input 3 labelled as cable/sat so i kept it there after the initial set up. When I go to the source select menu under the video setting i see the 'analog or hdmi' or 'analog' choice. I can try another input just to be sure, but Im pretty sure I have already done this at somepoint to no avail.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page