Temp HDMI switch help ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of finally getting my family room set up and have a question on HDMI and Coax or Optical audio....I will eventually be upgrading my AVR (with HDMI) along with a new Plasma but till next spring The below is what I have and all components are in a closet and will be controled via RF remote, currently I just have 1 HDMI ran to the TV along with a set of RCA's for the audio (using a HDMI to DVI adaptor at the TV)

I'm assuming its possible to come out of my Sat box with coax or opt to my AVR just for the audio to play on my 5.1 or 7.1 speakers and at the same time send the video to the TV the same way I have now HDMI to DVI adapt at the TV and all should work fine using my marantz for the audio alone Eliminating the RCA's to the TV? I was thinking of putting a HDMI switch in my closet so I can add a DVD player, Roku box etc.and just switch the HDMI to which ever is used at the time, and of course running whatever audio output from any device right to the AVR.

So I am basically looking for a inexpensive HDMI switch that would work with a Harmony type programmable remote (most likely the ultimate or smart with the RF hub, just haven't fully decided yet) This will all be temporary for now of course until I get my receiver upgrade with HDMI and also my new plasma.....

Am I correct on what I am thinking or am I missing the big picture ?

DTV Satelite box/DVR with HDMI, Coax and Opt output
Marantz SR7300 AVR
Older Hitachi HD RP TV with no HDMI only DVI
Roku box
Sony SACD/DVD Carrousel for now....(blue ray soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
You can pick up almost any HDMI switcher with IR control and it will work fine. Monoprice makes a number of them.

With the Roku boxes, they don't include a digital audio output on them other than that embedded on the HDMI, so you may want to consider a HDMI switch which pulls out the digital audio and delivers it on an optical or coaxial digital connection like this unit:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Read the reviews before you buy as there are more than a few issues which have been reported.

Any IR controlled device should work with your base station IR output.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
With the Roku boxes, they don't include a digital audio output on them other than that embedded on the HDMI

Cool thanks, I guess I can just keep the Roku box ontop of my dinosaur RPTV for now and use the outputs like I do now until I replace my TV with one that has HDMI inputs...

I would image my DTV box will be able to output digital audio via coax or opt even while I'm using HDMI out to a switch ? There must be a setting to change in the box I would think...
post #4 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watch which model of Roku you get. Not all of them support any analog audio at all. The Roku 3 is strictly a HDMI audio unit.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the HDMI switcher I linked to above to get out digital audio from the HDMI connection. Gives you exactly what you want and the price isn't ridiculous.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Just watch which model of Roku you get. Not all of them support any analog audio at all. The Roku 3 is strictly a HDMI audio unit.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the HDMI switcher I linked to above to get out digital audio from the HDMI connection. Gives you exactly what you want and the price isn't ridiculous.

Yeah I think thats what I'm gonna do, or I may upgrade to this Monoprice model for a few extra formats, ARC and a couple other minor things, ya never no what I'll need for the future.....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2#description
post #6 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post

Yeah I think thats what I'm gonna do, or I may upgrade to this Monoprice model for a few extra formats, ARC and a couple other minor things, ya never no what I'll need for the future.....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2#description

I picked up on the RF part of what you are looking for and I have not seen a Monoprice switch with RF, just IF. You may need an IF repeater to make this work. Its good Monoprice sells those to.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I picked up on the RF part of what you are looking for and I have not seen a Monoprice switch with RF, just IF. You may need an IF repeater to make this work. Its good Monoprice sells those to.
Phil - It's IR, not RF. And Harmony RF remotes talk to a base station which converts the RF to IR at their base stations. So, an IR repeater is not necessary with their remotes.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page