HDMI issue? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
edited

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post

I had a Pioneer SC-37 and have an Epson 8500UB. 50' cable. Recently I had an issue where on both units the HDMI 1 ports stopped working. In my testing I was able to get the HDMI 2 port on the projector to work with the 50' cable on the SC-37

I bought a new receiver today. Sony ES receiver. Hooked up the 50' cable and getting nothing (tried two 50' cables) from HDMI 2. I tried both 50' HDMI cables into a regular TV instead of the projector and both cables worked fine (50' to receiver to TV)

I then took a short 6ft cable and plugged it into my Dune Media player and moved closer to the projector for the test (bypassing receiver for the test) That worked fine on HDMI 2. Still nothing from HDMI 1.

I have a MACK warranty on the projector and was just going to live with it on HDMI2 for a bit, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas first

Should I look into a Booster, repeater, HDMI over Cat?

The problem is you are outside of the HDMI spec with a 50 foot passive HDMI cable. That is likely a Standard Speed HDMI cable. You don't say what type of cable, but if it isn't a good thick cable then you likely aren't able to send data without bit errors.

You probably want to replace that 50 foot cable. What you really want is a High Speed cable. A Redmere HDMI cable (see Monoprice) is an active High Speed cable. The other choice is to convert to Cat 6 for the long run.

What happened that HDMI 1 went down? Whatever it was may have affected HDMI 2, as well. I'd use that warranty while you still have it.

As a short term bypass, disable anything in the projector and the sources having to do with Deep Color. Set to "Off", not "Auto" or "On".
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

The problem is you are outside of the HDMI spec with a 50 foot passive HDMI cable. That is likely a Standard Speed HDMI cable. You don't say what type of cable, but if it isn't a good thick cable then you likely aren't able to send data without bit errors.

You probably want to replace that 50 foot cable. What you really want is a High Speed cable. A Redmere HDMI cable (see Monoprice) is an active High Speed cable. The other choice is to convert to Cat 6 for the long run.

What happened that HDMI 1 went down? Whatever it was may have affected HDMI 2, as well. I'd use that warranty while you still have it.

As a short term bypass, disable anything in the projector and the sources having to do with Deep Color. Set to "Off", not "Auto" or "On".

The 50' cable has been working since 2004 or 2005ish. I usually use Monoprice cables but at the time I tried other 50' cables and they were having issues. I went to circuit city and got the Monster cable way back then (Last thing I ever bought from monster tongue.gif) and it was working no problem. Impatience won out back in 04,05

I've been thinking about the convert to cat6 for the long run. The 50' cable works fine if I plug it into my plasma TV and to the projector. I also have anohter 50' cable that works in other devices but not the projector. What brand cat 6 is good to use?

The warranty is good until 2016. Only reason I was going to live with it is I'm afraid if they introduce dust or something while fixing it onto the screen :-(

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 PM

Liked: 87
Try the Deep Color change and see if that doesn't fix the issue with HDMI 2. It sounds like you are on the edge of bit errors and that may help.

I'd still want a working HDMI1 since it is likely the same system board as HDMI 2. At least this way you can pick the time for the projector to be away rather than having it forced on you by HDMI 2's failure.

As far as cat 6, I don't have a preference for this application. Any true cat 6 should work for 50'. However, I'd try the Redmere active HDMI first since I'd want to keep from adding more adapters, when possible.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I was wondering about the adapters for the cat 6 which was the best. Probably going to end up going the redmere route

I packaged up the projector today and am sending it off to be repaired. I brought home a projector from work and the HDMI worked fine on that.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page