HDMI to Optical Switch for Roku - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

First of all, I do not know much about audio video signals, convertors and formats.

What I need is a little help. We have a Roku 2 XS that is connected to the TV. We have started using it more and more and realized that audio isn't that much fun because it is not connected to our AVR.

I need help connecting it.

The Roku2 XS has two output ports; HDMI and another port that is labelled A/V Out. It looks like a standard RCA port.
Currently, the TV (Toshiba 50HP66) is getting its input directly from the Roku (via HDMI). The video is good but the audio isn't.

I started looking at the back of my TV and I realized that my TV has Audio OUT, so I sent an optical cable from the TV to the receiver (Harman Kardon AV335)
but for some reason, the receiver isn't receiving any audio. I looked that the optical cable coming out of the TV and the cable is illuminated red but receiver won't recognize it.

I read a little bit about it and I realized that maybe my TV is too old even to figure out the whole reason behind why I am not getting any audio out.
So, I read more and realized that there are small convertor boxes that will split my HDMI input into HDMI out and Optical out.
This way. I can send HDMI from Roku to this convertor and then send HDMI from convertor to TV and optical from convertor to receiver.

Would that be the right way or should I try to solve the TV audio out issue?
Does adding another component (this HDMI splitter) add lag or cause any quality loss?

What are my options? If the best option is to get a splitter, what is a good one our there for about 50-60$ or so?

Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Before you buy another piece of equipment, did you disable the TV's speakers when using the optical cable? You have to let the TV know that you are using external speakers.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I tried turning the TV speakers off using the TV menu, doesn't make any difference
post #4 of 6 Old 08-11-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
try reading the manual for the receiver and then make sure you have assign the optical input to the selected input.... :-)
post #5 of 6 Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

yes I made sure I am selecting the correct input in the receiver.
I don't think my TV is sending an output as a passthrough when an HDMI is the input into the TV.,

I read a lot about the TV and I don't think my TV will be passing through the audio signal.

I am ready to buy a switch just need some assistance to know which one is best
post #6 of 6 Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is regular TV audio (e.g.: OTA) being "seen" by the receiver? Our new Roku 3 has two audio settings: Stereo and surround sound. If I set it to the latter I get no sound to the receiver, because the TV won't pass digital from HDMI input to optical or coaxial output. In such a case: Regular TV audio works, but Roku audio does not.

That being said: If you want digital audio, you either have to go HDMI to the receiver, then jump to the TV, or buy a device that will do HDMI in/out, and will "tap" the digital audio off to a optical or coaxial digital output. Such devices exist. Just this evening I've been looking at products from J-Tech, Monoprice and others.

Jim
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page