question about monoprice hdmi cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need to purchase multiple HDMI cables and had a look at monoprice high speed hdmi cables. Their site offers multiple types of cables,ferrite core,redmere silver plated and net jacket; very confused at which is best to use.

My 2 room setups.
A)-
- no cable over 15ft in length is needed
- Need to use 90 degree hdmi connector on TV; Lg put all the hdmi ports on side; HDMI Cables stick way out in plain site
- AVR only supports hdmi 1.2 so unable to pass thru 3d signal through. therefore I must route audio to receiver using optical
- PS3 3d viewing
-multiple sources to TV and would like to use following switch to avoid multiple cables on wall. Appears to support all things needed.http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8462&seq=1&format=3#specification

B)
-multiple sources are routed thru AVR; 3d pass thru etc are supported

My under standing is that all cables the cables mentioned are high speed, support 3d,4k deep color etc. Therefore confused as to why i might choose one over the other. I am also leery of gimmickry an anxious to hear from those who have used redmere and their switches.

Thanks in advance for feedback

Tampa, Florida

My Equipment

B&W CM9 Frt 

B&W CM2 Ctr

B&W M-1 Side/Rear Surround

Pioneer Elite SC65

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM

Liked: 87
Just choose a High Speed cable (Monoprice also sells Standard Speed cables). The rest is build quality and thickness of the cable. If it says High Speed, then it's rated for everything that is available over HDMI.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
A certified High Speed HDMI cable is backwards compatible so it will work with HDMI hardware spec 1.2. Keep in mind that HDMI cables are not described by version numbers, they're basically either passive standard or high speed. A passive high speed HDMI cable is certified to 25' so anything under that will work. Being as you have the older HDMI hardware spec I suspect that you could even get away with a standard cable but buying the high speed cable would work with any a/v equipment that you may upgrade to in the future. I use the Redmere HDMI cables only because I like the smaller flexible cable and there is no extra "weight" on the connector end. Redmere can be used in lengths longer than 25' because they are active cables (they draw power from the sink end) but it's the small size and flexibility that I bought them for. I wouldn't worry about ferrite cores.

There are elbow HDMI connectors so hopefully someone will have that link handy.

Oops. I see Andy beat me to it, again wink.gif
post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutshall View Post

• Ferrite core--has ferrite cores (the bumps on the cable) on each end. Reduces RF noise put into the environment by connected gear. No benefit for the video or audio. Only found on the cheapest cables.
  • Redmere--has active electronics at the sink end that equalize and reclock the video/audio signal so you can run a given gauge cable a longer distance, or use a smaller gauge cable for a given distance.
  • Silver plated--has silver plated conductors. Reduces resistance theoretically allowing a given cable to perform adequately at slightly longer distances that an unplated cable.
  • Net jacket--has a braided jacket over the cable some people like.

If no run from source to sink is over 15', a 28 AWG high speed passive HDMI cable should do the trick. At longer lengths, go with 22-24 AWG.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for that info

Tampa, Florida

My Equipment

B&W CM9 Frt 

B&W CM2 Ctr

Pioneer Elite SC65

post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

so have you had success with the redmere cables? I had read some posts from 2012 where there were issues with them.

Tampa, Florida

My Equipment

B&W CM9 Frt 

B&W CM2 Ctr

Pioneer Elite SC65

post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

So it appears that any of the last 3 mentioned will work, just a matter of choice. A concern of mine is that the right angle and switch would cause signal loss and a better grade cable would be necessary to compensate.

Tampa, Florida

My Equipment

B&W CM9 Frt 

B&W CM2 Ctr

Pioneer Elite SC65

post #8 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutshall View Post

so have you had success with the redmere cables? I had read some posts from 2012 where there were issues with them.

i switched from 10' certified Hgh Speed HDMI cables (MediaBridge) to 10' Redmere and didn't notice any difference at all. Flexibility, reduced strain on the connectors, and thinness is cool.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page