hdmi wall plate to wall plate loses video but not audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm making my Panasonic flat screen into a monitor from my MacBook laptop.

When I use a 15' Blue Rigger in-wall rated hdmi cable as seen here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GW25WY/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

from the TV to a Fosman wall plate seen here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1X2904/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_

Then have a 50' Blue Rigger hdmi cable through the basement and up to a Fosman wall plate, which then connects to a short hdmi cable into an hdmi to Mini Display Port adapter... I get an audio signal but no video.

If I take the second wall plate out of the equation and put the 50' Blue RIgger from the basement directlly into the Display port adapter, it works fine.

The wall plate to wall plate connection doesn't work, and I can't figure out if it's the second wall plate or the shorter end run hdmi cable (of unknown origin but I know it works fine in other applications) that's causing the problem.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Let me see if I understand correctly:

You have something like this...

[Macbook] -- [mini display port to HDMI adapter] -- Short HDMI cable -- [Wall plate] -- 50 ft HDMI cable -- [Wall plate] -- 15 ft HDMI cable -- [Panasonic "monitor"]

Is that correct?

If so that's over 65 ft of HDMI with seven connection points (Macbook to adapter, adapter to hdmi, hdmi to wall plate, wall plate to hdmi, hdmi to wall plate, wall plate to hdmi, hdmi to monitor). That's quite a distance and a lot of places for things to be degraded and or go wrong. You'll need to start eliminating connection points one at a time to determine if any of them are bad. If they all test out ok then you'll have to consider the fact that your run may simply be too long, at least for the cables you have at present. You may get some better results using Redmere cables, others report success with long runs and Redmere cables, I haven't used them personally. You can also consider a powered amp/extender.

Instead of the hdmi jack wall plates I usually opt for one of the Monoprice pass through wall plates (see below link) to minimizes connection points which can introduce problems. Using those I have a 16meter HDMI cable that I have used between my mac mini and my AV receiver but nothing longer than that. Others may chime in with longer success stories however.

Here's the Monoprice link:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042509&p_id=3997&seq=1&format=2

You can also get Redmere cables from Monoprice if you decide/need to go that route.
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10255

post #3 of 6 Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookster1 View Post

I'm making my Panasonic flat screen into a monitor from my MacBook laptop.

The wall plate to wall plate connection doesn't work, and I can't figure out if it's the second wall plate or the shorter end run hdmi cable (of unknown origin but I know it works fine in other applications) that's causing the problem.

Any thoughts?
Eliminate the second wall plate by plugging the cable into the TV? Try a different wall plate? Try a different jumper cable?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... Yes you got the set up right! I thought it was a lot of cable... maybe a 25 footer through the basement will do it, but I don't think so.

I am using it fine right now by eliminating the second wall plate and plugging the 50' hdmi through a floor brush plate directly to the mini display port/hdmi adapter.

It seems that the last short run of hdmi from the second wall plate to the adapter was the problem.

I really hate the set up that IS working because the basement 50' hdmi is really thick and unwieldy, but until I find another short hdmi to hdmi that works, or like you said, shorten the basement run and switch out for a Redmere, it'll have to do!.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-29-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm trying all sorts of combos, and you can see by my other reply that I got it to work one way... Still will have to experiment!
post #6 of 6 Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 426
You might want to consider replacing your thick 50' cable by a much thinner Monoprice RedMere cable. Since they cost slightly less than $60, it's not a very expensive test, although running it through the walls probably would be, umm, inconvenient. RedMere cables include in-line electronics to compensate for the attenuation and dispersion.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9432&seq=1&format=2

Selden
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page