HDMI Splitter - simple query - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I simply want to have 2 displays: my projector and my TV (in the future, a monitor, once the TV moves into another room). I am currently just unplugging and swapping the input cables. (Something I'd like to not do anymore.)

My PS3 and my PC both plug into my Aquos TV rack (with built-in receiver and speakers). There is only one output for display. I want this to output to two displays. I first thought I can just get an HDMI splitter to do this and then turn on the display I want to use. But then what about the resolution settings in my OS?

In a nutshell:
HTPC (Gigabyte BRIX)
Console (PS3)

|..........|
V..........V

Receiver/speaker rack (Aquos AN-AR410)

|
v

|..........|
V..........V

Display 1 (Epson EMP-TW600)
Display 2 (Aquos LC-40LXI)

(PS: at this time i don't require different content on the displays but is something i will probably want in the future.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 PM

Liked: 87
We don't have TV racks in the US (other than on certain PPV channels, I guess), so I have to look up what it was. It's basically a combo 3.1-channel receiver with a TV. What you want to do is to take the output of the receiver and send it to two TVs instead of the one.

Sure, an HDMI switch will work under certain conditions. Those are:

Both the monitor and TV must support 1080p (1920x1080)
The connection to the switch must be made after the 3.1-channel receiver but before the TV
You will only be able to get the same content on both the monitor and the TV

How you set the PC resolution will be exactly the same as you have that works with the Sharp Aquos now. I'd suggest 1920x1080 since that should provide the best picture on the Sharp. Also make sure the Sharp is set to "Dot by Dot" mode.
TeflonDog likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

We don't have TV racks in the US (other than on certain PPV channels, I guess), so I have to look up what it was. It's basically a combo 3.1-channel receiver with a TV. What you want to do is to take the output of the receiver and send it to two TVs instead of the one.

Sure, an HDMI switch will work under certain conditions. Those are:

Both the monitor and TV must support 1080p (1920x1080)
The connection to the switch must be made after the 3.1-channel receiver but before the TV
You will only be able to get the same content on both the monitor and the TV

How you set the PC resolution will be exactly the same as you have that works with the Sharp Aquos now. I'd suggest 1920x1080 since that should provide the best picture on the Sharp. Also make sure the Sharp is set to "Dot by Dot" mode.

Thanks!
To be clear though, one display is an Aquos TV (1080p) and the other is a projector (720p).
HTPC (Gigabyte BRIX)
Console (PS3)

|..........|
V..........V

Receiver/speaker rack (Aquos AN-AR410)

|
v

|..........|
V..........V

LCD PROJECTOR (720p) (Epson EMP-TW600)
LCD TV (1080p) (Aquos LC-40LXI)
post #4 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeflonDog View Post

Thanks!
To be clear though, one display is an Aquos TV (1080p) and the other is a projector (720p).

...]

For HDMI the display resolution doesn't count as much as the input resolution. So I looked at the owners manual for the projector and it shows 1125i for the maximum input resolution. So, if you hook both the Sharp and the Epson together, you will not be able to use 1080p.

The reason for this is that an HDMI cable can only have one video stream on it (in it) at a time. So it can't have both 720p (for the Epson) and 1080p (for the Sharp). The HDMI spec requires the signal to be compatible with any sink (the TVs) hooked to it. That would mean that 720p would work for both and 1080i would work for both (1125i is the full portion of an active 1080i resolution).

In either case the signal going to the Sharp will have to be lowered to allow the Epson to be used at the same time. If, like most people, you are now wondering, "what if I turn the Epson off?", the answer is likely that won't help. The reason is that the Epson will be in standby (not off) and the HDMI handshake will continue to be sent unless you pull the power cord.

The bottom line is you'll have to decide if the trade-off (1080p down to 1080i) is something you'll want to do to get both sinks at the same time. Most people (99+%) will not notice the difference between 1080p and 1080i, even at 60+". BTW, since 1080i is not the Epson's native resolution, the Epson picture may not be as sharp (no pun intended) as it could be with a 720p input.
TeflonDog likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If, like most people, you are now wondering, "what if I turn the Epson off?", the answer is likely that won't help. The reason is that the Epson will be in standby (not off) and the HDMI handshake will continue to be sent unless you pull the power cord.
thanks for looking into that!
hmmm. is there an hdmi switcher or something i could use instead? to get dual display (as in extended desktop rather than duplicate), but still use the 2.1 receiver?
post #6 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 02:09 PM

Sure with a video card you can have the dual outputs. One goes to the Epson and one goes to the Sharp. Modern video cards allow different resolution outputs for both ports.

But, that would not allow the PS3 to go to both. The PS3's component video output is disabled when HDMI output is used. So you're stuck there unless you downgrade the resolution and use a switch (which would also then likely cause a problem with your HTPC resolutions).

If the PS3 only goes to the Sharp then you don't need a switch and everything will work, including the dual monitor (extended desktop mode).
TeflonDog likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sure with a video card you can have the dual outputs. One goes to the Epson and one goes to the Sharp. Modern video cards allow different resolution outputs for both ports.

But, that would not allow the PS3 to go to both. The PS3's component video output is disabled when HDMI output is used. So you're stuck there unless you downgrade the resolution and use a switch (which would also then likely cause a problem with your HTPC resolutions).

If the PS3 only goes to the Sharp then you don't need a switch and everything will work, including the dual monitor (extended desktop mode).

there's no space for a video card in the BRIX. however it does have a miniDisplayPort...

I do like PS3 on the 100" projection...
post #8 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:

there's no space for a video card in the BRIX. however it does have a miniDisplayPort...

I do like PS3 on the 100" projection...

Won't help you unless you have two independent video ports (a miniDisplayPort and an HDMI port).

Unless you get a newer projector, it is going to be very difficult to do what you want at 1080p.
TeflonDog likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Won't help you unless you have two independent video ports (a miniDisplayPort and an HDMI port).

Unless you get a newer projector, it is going to be very difficult to do what you want at 1080p.

"The BRIX supports two separate monitors through its two video output ports", one HDMI port, one DisplayPort video output.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM

DisplayPort to HDMI is not officially supported anymore, but you should be able to find an adapter. Assuming that you can use extended desktop between the two ports (I don't have a BRIX to try out), then that would give you separate outputs (with separate resolutions) for the BRIX.

However, that still leaves the PS3. I think unless you change the Epson to a 1080p projector, you are stuck with either downgrading the output (1080i or 720p) or only using one output at a time. A switch will allow the EDID for both the Epson and the Sharp to be combined into the lowest common denominator, escentially giving you 1080i or 720p. There is no other way that would give you a picture on both.

There are a few mechanical switches out there. But most of those (usually with an LED on the switch) are actually powered by the HDMI cable. You can check the archives in this forum to see if someone had luck with one. Check under "reversable switch".
TeflonDog likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

DisplayPort to HDMI is not officially supported anymore, but you should be able to find an adapter. Assuming that you can use extended desktop between the two ports (I don't have a BRIX to try out), then that would give you separate outputs (with separate resolutions) for the BRIX.

thanks for your help!

i guess i should look for dual hdmi outputs when i'm HTIB shopping next month.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:

thanks for your help!

i guess i should look for dual hdmi outputs when i'm HTIB shopping next month.

Yes, but even then you will still have a problem because of the different input resolutions for the two displays. That's really the problem.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
A mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter plus a decent 4x2 HDMI Matrix ought to sort out your connectivity conundrum - plus leave a spare Input for an additional Source.

Input 1 – PC A
Input 2 – PC B
Input 3 – PS3
Input 4 – spare

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20matrix%20switch%204x2%20port.html

As Andy says you will need to manage the Output format of each Source so that you have support for that signal format on the target Display device.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #14 of 15 Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM

Joe, he would still have to use 1080i/720p though. Right? I couldn't see an alternative with the Epson projector, which does not have 1080p capability.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-06-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Agreed - if the Projector is selected as an 'active' display the connected Source would have to be set to 1080i.

With EDID management on the Matrix you can at least ‘force’ your Source to 1080p when the Projector is not an ‘active’ Display for that Source – if you were very lucky your Sources would auto detect the various Display ‘supported’ signal formats and auto adjust accordingly!

Joe

PS HTIB would seem (to me) to be the wrong way to go when you are looking for optimum flexibility in any system!

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page