Yet another HDMI splitter question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading the threads for a bit and I think I have a grasp on this but I will ask regardless in the hope of getting an answer.

I have an older pioneer receiver (VSX 1018) which has one HDMI out.

I would like to be able to use a Splitter/ DA to connect the output from the receiver to feed 2 display devices.

Device one is a Pioneer 5080 plasma ( i am under the impression that this display will accept a 1080p/24 signal)
The other will be a JVC HD250.

They will not be on at the same time.

Ideas? is this possible or am I going to have to jockey cables?

thx
Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwan View Post

I have been reading the threads for a bit and I think I have a grasp on this but I will ask regardless in the hope of getting an answer.

I have an older pioneer receiver (VSX 1018) which has one HDMI out.

I would like to be able to use a Splitter/ DA to connect the output from the receiver to feed 2 display devices.

Device one is a Pioneer 5080 plasma ( i am under the impression that this display will accept a 1080p/24 signal)
The other will be a JVC HD250.

They will not be on at the same time.

Ideas? is this possible or am I going to have to jockey cables?

thx
Miles

Obviously the JVC projector isn't going to be a problem. The Kuro panel is 1365x768 but luckily that isn't important. The important part is what input resolutions will the Kuro take?

It looks like the PDP-5080HD will accept 1080p signals but I could not find any indication that it could accept 1080p/24. Doesn't mean it will not, just that I couldn't find it.

So, basically with a distribution amp, you'll get a compatible signal for both the JVC projector and the Pioneer Kuro. If the Kuro does not accept 1080p/24 then neither will get it. That they won't be "on" at the same time doesn't matter since unless you pull the AC plug they are both likely in standby mode and are still sending their EDID to the dist amp.

Two words of caution - the VSX1080 firmware should be compatible with a distribution amp but there is no way to guarantee that until you try it. And, repeated plug/unplug cycles with HDMI is unwise. There have been reports of damaging the sockets and also very rare arcing. That's why people here recommend complete power off before plugging in an HDMI cable.