HDMI and Projector Setup - HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently upgraded from a 50" flat panel plasma TV to a rear projection setup. I purchased the Panasonic PTAE8000U projecting onto a fixed 110" screen. The projector is sitting on a shelf in the room behind seating postion, and projecting through a small window. The projector is about 30-35' from the sources. For media providers, I have a Panasonic Bluray, Xbox, AppleTV and Dish Network DVR, all routed through a Pioneer Elite AVR. Bluray and Apple TV are connected to the AVR via 3' High Speed HDMI cables from Monoprice. All else via component video. AVR is currently connected via a 40' Ultra Slim High Performance cable w/Redmere (PID: 9431).

A bit of background, but here is what is happening and what I need advice on:
When I first set this up, I used a 35' HDMI cable from Media Bridge. The issue I was seeing is that when watching a Bluray movie, periodically and most notably if there is a scene transition from dark to white or very bright, the projector would lose video signal and handshake from the AVR completely. AVR would still be playing audio. I would have to switch to another source on the AVR and then back to the Bluray, handshake would take place and we were off watching the movie again. This might happen 1-2x per movie, otherwise everything was looking great. I decided to replace the Media Bridge cable with a 35' BlueRigger cable which was specifically CL3 rated, however, this made no difference, the projector completely lost the signal.

I returned the BlueRigger cable to Amazon and went to Monoprice and their Redmere cables. Now, the issue has changed, but is no less enjoyable. Now what happens is there is a signal drop but it does not do it so as badly as before when the signal was completely lost and required a re-handshake, instead now the picture goes black for a couple of seconds then the picture comes back by itself.

So, I am trying to figure out what the issue is here, how to diagnose, and get to a resolution. I feel like this is cable related, however, I am seeing people using even longer lengths and apparently no problems. Changing the cable did change the issue I am seeing, but is it strictly cable related or could this also be a problem with the AVR? Should start looking into powered HDMI solutions? HDBaseT? A new AVR? cool.gif

I should note, this is all 2D 1080P 60Hz as presently my AVR does not support 3D (something to upgrade in the near future). I would like to do 3D in the future and am expecting my issues to magnify at that time.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Thousands of experiments have conclusively proven that beating drums and clashing cymbals brings back the sun after a total eclipse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 87
OK, I think I understand. If this was a cable issue what would be happening is that you would be receiving bit errors at the projector (since audio is fine). HDMI uses uncompressed video and bit errors are usually random-type things, so I start to wonder if bit errors can occur only when there is a large contrast change in a scene. Basically when you find that random things have patterns, then they aren't random anymore.

So, what else can cause this? Certainly bad (or incompatible) firmware is a possibility. To narrow that down, please try a couple of things:

1) Make sure all devices have the latest updated firmware - particularly the AVR and the projector.

2) Try connecting the Blu-Ray player directly to the projector using the 35 foot cable. Only change one variable at a time (in this case eliminating the AVR is the one variable).

Then if you want to try one more thing, reconnect the AVR exactly as you have it today. Then select only 1080i for the output on the Blu-Ray player. See if that makes any difference. If it does then bit errors become more likely (although it doesn't rule out firmware).

Please append with the results of the tests.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Is the AVR set to HDMI Passthru or are you processing the video within the AVR?

If you still have it handy have you tried running the Plasma on the end of the long HDMI cable from your AVR?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Previously I had thought this was just related to BD, however my son mentioned that when playing the XBox CoD Black Ops 2, sometimes when a Flashbang grenade goes off in front of him, the screen blacks out for a second as well. I took your advice I and reviewed the receiver configuration. The receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-03-TXH. As far as I can tell, there are limited HDMI settings on the receiver. There is a setting for HDMI control, which I disabled. There is also a Video Conversion setting, which only applies to non-HDMI components. Since this is the mode the XBOX is in, I disabled that. I will have to wait for my son to test that out. Focusing back on the BD, I read elsewhere on the forums about various BD settings related to YBPR 4:4:4, etc., and that BD are 4:2:0. It was recommended to change this to 4:2:2 as this would drop the bandwidth consumption on the HDMI cable. I made this change on my BD and have watched the Hurt Locker through the couple of scenes that I saw the picture drop on. I have not lost picture yet. Same with Iron Man 2 (the cut to the Monaco scene). The other movie that caused this in more than a few places was Oblivion, however, my father-in-law is borrowing that movie. I also noticed that the "Deep Color" setting was enabled on the BD player. Thoughts on disabling that? I have seen many say turn it off, though not all related to cable distance issues, though certainly some.

Thousands of experiments have conclusively proven that beating drums and clashing cymbals brings back the sun after a total eclipse.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 87
All deep color does is add color elements that aren't on the BD disc. It does this by interpolating the color from adjourning information.

So, disable it. It will cut down on bandwidth and also put the color back to what the director and/or mastering engineer intended. It's kind of like using fake DSP modes for audio except this one is for color information.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page