HDMI Issues- Help Needed ASAP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
During construction, we ran an 6 ft HDMI cable in my wall from to show no wires from cable box to mounted tv. Now that we are moved in, unfortunately, the slack is mostly at the bottom and only about 18 inches stick out top port near the tv, and I can't pull more out because it's somehow stuck. Well, I have a swivel mount and when my wife tried to extend it, it got stuck in tv and ripped the metal clamp off. (see attached photo) hdmi.JPG 112k .JPG file

What are my options? Can I fix this one somehow? Can someone guide me on what I can do and if I am able to fix this?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdmi.JPG (111.6 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM

Liked: 87
Well, your problem is a reminder why in-wall conduit is so important. But, you don't have that.

I'd be hesitent to recommend trying to fix it. The pins were bent and may be damaged but more importantly I'd worry about the chance of shorting two pins together when you tried to put the housing back on.

The correct answer is to replace the cable. If you can't do that and you are willing to risk damaging the TV and the component connected on the other side, you could try to put a housing back on but I'd get someone who knows how to do that rather than try it yourself. Is the housing still in one piece?

Also are you sure the TV socket did not get damaged?
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Assuming that the cable box is mounted under your set, I would get out the dry wall saw and open up the wall to replace the cable. Make the cuts on a slit angle from narrow inside to wider on the outside. There maybe a fire block in the wall and if so that can be worked around. I bet you find the HDMI is attached to the stud with a staple. Use a longer cable and Monoprice has what they call portsavers http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=2891&seq=1&format=2 that can be used to add a little length and flexibility to the cable. You can get both at Monoprice.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

Assuming that the cable box is mounted under your set, I would get out the dry wall saw and open up the wall to replace the cable. Make the cuts on a slit angle from narrow inside to wider on the outside. There maybe a fire block in the wall and if so that can be worked around. I bet you find the HDMI is attached to the stud with a staple. Use a longer cable and Monoprice has what they call portsavers http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=2891&seq=1&format=2 that can be used to add a little length and flexibility to the cable. You can get both at Monoprice.

Phil's is the best advice. It's cheap to fix drywall compared to the cost of incorrectly repairing that cable.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page