Powered HDMI > Cat5e baluns sending power into my matrix?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I've been reading through some of the many threads here on issues with sending HDMI over Cat5e, but I think this may be a more specific problem so I'd really appreciate any advice.

We have a 4x4 HDMI matrix from CPC Farnell - http://cpc.farnell.com/_/hdsmx404/switch-hdmi-4x4/dp/CS20232?in_merch=Products%20From%20This%20Range

and we're using these baluns - http://www.hasense.com/html_products/HDMI-Super-Extender-(-By-CAT-5e6cable-50M)-21.html

to send HDMI from the matrix outputs to another room. The run is fairly long and includes a Cat5 patch bay and a wall panel in the other room.

I'm having problems with dropouts, "snow" and other forms of interference appearing onscreen. I'm using Cat5e cables I've terminated, replaced and re-terminated myself at every point in the chain. Ditto with HDMI cables, though these are pre-made. In other words I'm pretty satisfied that the cables are fine. I've also swapped out the baluns for new ones to no avail.

The baluns come with a 5V power adapter, but plugging this in gives me a weird problem. When I power up the baluns (power input is located at the receiver end) I can't turn the HDMI matrix off - that is, flipping the power switch on the matrix doesn't seem to do anything as all the LEDs remain lit. When I remove the power supply from the balun the lights on the matrix go out. Is the balun sending 5V back to the matrix? I've left it off for now, but I'm not sure if power is actually needed for the baluns to work properly or whether it just powers the IR magic eyes (I'm not using these).

Close to throwing in the towel and just running some heavy duty HDMI cable through the loft. Any help would be hugely appreciated though.

Many thanks in advance,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 370
This is a cheap HDMI over Cat-5 extender and is producing results which are common to many of these types of products. It has been shown over and over again that this is exactly the type of unpredictable issue which should be expected with these.

I know, not what you want to hear.

If you have a distance over 50', then I would recommend that you use a HD-Base-T transmitter/receiver set such as those sold by Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

I have personally tested these up to 300' using 6 pieces of cat-5e which were spliced together in about the worst possible manner... Then I left it to run 1080p material all day long and there wasn't a single dropout or flicker. HD-Base-T has basically become an industry standard which is used by Extron, Crestron, AMX, and a long list of other top-tier companies, but comes in at a very reasonable price for good quality at Monoprice.

You can run their garden hose HDMI cable up to 50' and if access is good, this will be the cheapest solution. I am using a 75' HDMI cable from my PS3 to my basement, then 50' back up to my display and I have zero issues whatsoever with it, so certainly it is possible with their good cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025002&p_id=6062&seq=1&format=2

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Have you tried Source > Extender > Display and confirmed that option works across your cables?

Power to the Receiver – only the manufacturer of that product can confirm why they are powering the Receiver and what it is sending back (if anything) to the Transmitter.

Assuming you are in the UK you could give our Octava HDCATIR-UK a go – we have supplied them to customers using the same Matrix you are using and no reports of strange problems!

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDCATIR-UK.htm

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
Iogear Cat5e 6 Extender

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page