Monoprice Redmere vs Amazon High Speed - HDMI Cables. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Monoprice has this forums support but Amazon has the scale, who makes the superior cable and how does one even compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
How is the 4K TV working out?

As for the answer to your question, as long as you get a High Speed HDMI cable (must say so on the advertising) and it's certified, then you have the best cable you can buy. Even if you spend more money, the bits are the same coming out.

The only variable is build quality. We can discuss that, but I need to know how long of an HDMI cable you need?

Just remember these are digital cables, so as long as you don't get bit errors, you're golden.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Amazon has little in the way of quality control more or less which should always be of concern.

There are cables out there from multiple vendors which hit price points all over the place from just a couple of bucks to hundreds of dollars for a 2m cable. Monoprice is respected across the Internet community because they were one of the first to blow the bubble off of high HDMI cable pricing, and have maintained that mentality since their inception. The reviews on their site for each and every cable speak to this fact.

On shorter lengths, I've used the ultra thin cables from Parts Express as a good alternative to Monoprice.

I have never purchased a HDMI cable from Amazon, and I've heard some horror stories which make me worry, but for the most part, I would just read the reviews and decide from there.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Amazon has little in the way of quality control more or less which should always be of concern.

I have never purchased a HDMI cable from Amazon, and I've heard some horror stories which make me worry, but for the most part, I would just read the reviews and decide from there.

Amazon have their own brand of cable which works thus far, I will try a Monoprice Redmere from the Time Warner Cable Box to the 4K TV.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

How is the 4K TV working out?

As for the answer to your question, as long as you get a High Speed HDMI cable (must say so on the advertising) and it's certified, then you have the best cable you can buy. Even if you spend more money, the bits are the same coming out.

The only variable is build quality. We can discuss that, but I need to know how long of an HDMI cable you need?

Just remember these are digital cables, so as long as you don't get bit errors, you're golden.

The 4K Television is stressing me out cause I had the 4K resolution working perfectly with SwitchResX, then I decided to Tweak it and lost all progress!

I have measured from the Cable Box to the TV, 8FT. My TV Room, is 11.545FT and 14.709FT, 170Ft Squared roughly.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tong View Post

The 4K Television is stressing me out cause I had the 4K resolution working perfectly with SwitchResX, then I decided to Tweak it and lost all progress!

I have measured from the Cable Box to the TV, 8FT. My TV Room, is 11.545FT and 14.709FT, 170Ft Squared roughly.

8 Feet means you are in good shape with any HDMI cable that is High Speed. At 8 ft I would recommend against the Redmere cable unless you really need a thin cable.

The reason is that the Redmere cable is an active cable that restores the waveform at the destination. 8 feet isn't long enough to really need an active component and is just one more item that could fail.

Instead try one of the Monoprice passive High Speed cables. Such as...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3993&seq=1&format=2

This cable also has the advantage that it should work with HDMI 2.0.

This should also work:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379966731&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+10+foot+high+speed

If you were approaching 25 feet, I would have a different recommendation, but at 8-10 feet you should have plenty of choices for not a lot of money.
Kenneth Tong likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanking you for your comprehensive reply.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Kenneth Tong 

8 Feet means you are in good shape with any HDMI cable that is High Speed. At 8 ft I would recommend against the Redmere cable unless you really need a thin cable.

The reason is that the Redmere cable is an active cable that restores the waveform at the destination. 8 feet isn't long enough to really need an active component and is just one more item that could fail.

Instead try one of the Monoprice passive High Speed cables. Such as...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

This cable also has the advantage that it should work with HDMI 2.0.

This should also work:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379966731&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+10+foot+high+speed

If you were approaching 25 feet, I would have a different recommendation, but at 8-10 feet you should have plenty of choices for not a lot of money.
I actually have my eyes on the 6ft Slim Series High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
There is Zero requirement to go ‘active’ for a 6’ cable.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #10 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
^^^^ agreed. At 6', Redmere is an overkill and you could probably just get by with thinner gauge wire if a thick wire is an issue.

Speaking of Andy, where's he been? I haven't seen him post in a long time.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
'Speaking of Andy, where's he been? I haven't seen him post in a long time' - hopefully off creating the HDMI 'Bible'

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page