HDMI cable stopped transmitting 1080p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find my exact issue. I have a 6-series Samsung LED TV (no 3D), connected to a Samsung soundbar, connected to a Monoprice 4x2 switcher/splitter. Hooked up is a DirecTV receiver, PS3, AppleTV, and Wii. 

About 3-4 months ago I had a problem where the PS3 stopped playing through to the TV (but would play through to a second TV hooked up through the switcher/splitter. Some DirecTV content would play, but not others (like HBO HDTV shows). Same with AppleTV--some Netflix shows would play, but some wouldn't (higher quality video wouldn't play). So I narrowed it down to a specific HDMI cable. I switched with another cable (some generic brand) and everything was fine.

Now it has happened again. So before I start tearing apart my beautiful wiring wraps, covers, tunnels, etc... to find the cable, I wanted some advice. 

Is it inherent in the cable? If so, what HDMI cable should I buy?

Is the switcher/splitter ruining the cable (I never found this issue before using a splitter/switcher)?

Any advice appreciated. 

This is the advice DirecTV gives me when I find a program that won't play, like recent movies on HBO: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program."Now other things, like baseball on TNT HD will play fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 PM

Liked: 87
Have you updated the TV and the soundbar to the latest firmware? How long are all of the HDMI cables? Are all of the HDMI cables High Speed? Are you using the component video outputs on the DirecTV DVR? What messages do you get when the PS3 and the Apple TV won't play? Are all devices set to 1080p or are you also using 1080i or 720p?

To answer your questions, no the splitter does not ruin a cable over time and no a specific type of cable is not needed other than it should say High Speed.

If you can answer the above questions, I suspect we can narrow this down quickly.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply!

I have not updated the TV and soundbar since I bought them a year ago. However changing HDMI cables worked the last time, so I'm not sure that is the issue? The last time this happened I wasn't running the system through the soundbar as well. But that is always a good suggestion, so I'll do it.

Cables are 6ft, one may be 9ft. One is a Dynex high speed cable, and the other I'm not sure of the brand, but looking it specs written on the side (E321484 AWM Style 20276) it appears to be high speed as well. 

I'm using HDMI for DirecTV.

The PS3 won't show anything on the screen The AppleTV shows the menu and navigation, but when I go to play a Breaking Bad episode it says: "Either your HDMI cable isn't properly connected, or your HDMI connection doesn't support HDCP. Please reconnect the HDMI cable from your Apple TV to your HDTV and try again"

Everything is set to autoselect picture quality up to 1080p.

Like I mentioned, everything worked fine until yesterday. And this happened once before and I just changed the HDMI cable from the splitter/switcher to the TV and it fixed it. Now I run a cable from the switcher/splitter to a soundbar, and a cable from the soundbar to the TV. I'll have to troubleshoot which cable isn't working, but I want to prevent it from happening again.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM

I suspect it is one of your HDMI connectors on a common component that is going bad - maybe the TV. Have you tried the same cables with a different TV input?

Cables don't go bad over time. Something has to change such as additional interference or a nail through a cable for a cable to stop working. However, a plug going bad would be consistent with what you have. When you got a newer cable, the plug on the cable fit better for a while.

If that isn't it, then try things again without the Soundbar and see if that works. Then try just DirecTV directly to the TV.

The DirecTV message is odd since it indicates that the receiver thinks you are using component video output (only time you should get that message is when you are on a premium channel or movie channel and you are using both component video and HDMI at the same time).
post #5 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

I tried a different input on the TV and got the same error message from DirecTV and AppleTV. I'm going to need to try a different HDMI cable and see. 

Any advice as to which cable to buy? I'm in a small town, but we have Radio Shack and Wal-Mart. Should I choose any high speed HDMI cable or am I looking for something in particular?

post #6 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwfielder1 View Post

I tried a different input on the TV and got the same error message from DirecTV and AppleTV. I'm going to need to try a different HDMI cable and see. 

Any advice as to which cable to buy? I'm in a small town, but we have Radio Shack and Wal-Mart. Should I choose any high speed HDMI cable or am I looking for something in particular?

Really any High Speed cable that is certified should be fine. You'll find a lot of people order from Monoprice and you'll likely get the cheapest price that way, too. Their shipping is very convenient and an excellent return policy.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I spoke with Monoprice technical help chat, thinking maybe the switcher was causing a handshake issue or something. He stated they recommend 24 AWG cables with switchers/splitters because of handshake issues. Said the smaller cable may be having a "bottleneck" of data. So I'm going to try the larger cable. Does this sound right?

post #8 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 02:06 PM

No - well maybe kind-of. What happens with a cable is that the signal that carries the 1s and 0s gets distorted so that on the other end of the cable the 1s and 0s can't be accurately decoded back to their original meaning. Yes, the cause of this is likely when the cable can't handle the bit rate. The capacity of the cable to carry bits is the bandwidth. And, yes, if you use a water analogy that would mean the water is backing up by trying to send too much water into the pipe. But, bits don't quite work the same way.

So, saying the bits are backing up (a bottleneck) isn't accurate. But, the effect is that the bits are getting across in error is correct for that type of cable problem.

Unfortunately with the small length of cable you are using and that you confirmed they are high speed cables, cable error doesn't fit. But, it won't hurt to try different cables - maybe a cable got damaged some how. You can't get better rating than high speed (at least meaningful rating).
post #9 of 11 Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I'll grab a couple of 24 AWG cables this weekend and see how it goes.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

So I received and installed the 24AWG HDMI cables. Still the same error. If I bypass the switcher/splitter, it plays fine and no errors. It must be the switcher/splitter. I have a ticket in to Monoprice support on it now...

post #11 of 11 Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwfielder1 View Post

So I received and installed the 24AWG HDMI cables. Still the same error. If I bypass the switcher/splitter, it plays fine and no errors. It must be the switcher/splitter. I have a ticket in to Monoprice support on it now...

As I mentioned earlier, a cable problem didn't fit what you were experiencing. Since everything was working previously, you can suspect a fault in the matrix switcher. However (and this is important), it could also be updates to firmware/software. Since the problem is happening with more than one device (and I'm assuming you haven't done any software/firmware updates to the matrix switcher) it would be very very unlikely to be separate software problems in multiple devices.

So, I'd suggest trying another Monoprice matrix switcher and if that doesn't work, then try a different brand / model of matrix switcher. I suspect though that a one-for-one replacement with the Monoprice matrix switcher will do the trick.

The only other common elements in all this are the soundbar and the TV. So, hopefully it is the matrix switcher. If not, I would try bypassing the soundbar. The reason I'm not suggesting doing that now is that if it is an interface problem of some type between the soundbar and the matrix switcher, then replacing either one should solve the problem. The matrix switch should be less painful to replace than the soundbar.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page