HDMI Switch suggestions needed. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I know this has been asked to death but I need some advice on switches.

I'm out of HDMI inputs and I'm currently using component with my DirecTV DVR. Since I'm using component, I can't watch 3D and I have some audio sync issues that don't exist when using HDMI (switch cables around to test this and the audio sync problems go away with HDMI).

So, I'd like to get a switch. For now I'll probably only have 2 sources hooked up to it, probably my DVR and Apple TV. The switch needs to support 1080p and full 3D. Needs to have a remote or at least support discrete IR codes that I can program into my Harmony. Since I want to use my Harmony, auto switching is not something I'm worried about, Apple TV would cause problems with that anyway since it never truly turns off, same with DVR for that matter.

Just want the best switch I can get for less then $100. Need 2x1 but wouldn't mind 3 or 4x1 for future expansion. I've looked at Monoprice but some of the reviews have me nervous. Most of the reviews are fine except many of them, even some of the good reviews, mention them failing in short periods if time. A lot of reviews mention issue with auto switching or handshake issues and Monoprice claims that 24awg HDMI cables are recommended for all there switches. My HDMI cables are 28awg and I don't want to have to buy all new cables.

I've look at Octava's website but wish the were black (at least I didn't see black options) but, there 3x1 switch looks good, even though it is at the top of my budget.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I have yet to see an inexpensive switch that works better than Monoprice stuff.

You can get far more expensive units, that do work, but they tend to run well over $100 for that level of quality, and some I've seen still have issues.

I just looked and the Key Digital units aren't showing 1080p/3D capability (weird).
Neither are the Gefen models, and they cost more.

I personally have used 4 different Monoprice HDMI switchers without one issue. Considering the price, you could potentially just get some Redmere HDMI cables to go with things and still come out well ahead of the other options for a lot less cash.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is the 24 awg recommendation on the Monoprice ones really an issue? I really don't want to have to re-wire my setup, I'm lazy when it comes to cable management and it is a mess back there which makes it a pain to change things out. The HDMI cables I have now have worked great, never had an issue with them and I honestly don't understand why adding a switch would star causing issues with HDMI cables that have been perfect so far.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I haven't used any specific 24AWG cables from Monoprice, but you certainly do get signal loss every time you make a HDMI connection. I have a 50' HDMI run which doesn't work at all with couplers in line with more standard sized HDMI cables. So, while it may work fine now, you are talking about adding a new piece to the mix.

But, if it were me, I would probably pick up a few Redmere cables while on the MP website. On the other hand, I put HDMI cables to good use no matter what.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the information and suggestions.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I recently got the 3x1 switcher on Amazon (Portta brand) and so far the PS3 won't talk to it, and the 360 has lost connection twice. Is the monoprice switch a good alternative? I just want something to have all of my game consoles on one input, as my TV (Panasonic s64) has only two HDMI inputs. My BD player also has two inputs, but I still need a couple more.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hello rolltifo1017

Can't help with a black version of our 3x1 or 5x1 Switch they are always Silver.

Our 4x1 HDMI+Optical (with ARC) is black - but higher cost.

The latest version of the 5x1 has an IR socket so you can hide the unit away and have the optional IR receiver cable somewhere around your TV/kit rack.

The Octava units have discrete IR for all commands.

I can't see any reason to change your HDMI cables.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World