TV \ Reciever intermittent outage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Guys,

I have a 50" panasonic viera plasma connected to a DirectTV DVR receiver. Sporadically my TV goes black other than some HDMI 2 text that gets displayed. Sometimes when I wait long enough the video and audio comes back other times. I have to power off TV\Reciever and back on. I have the following cabling

TV to wall HDMI outlet is a 4' HDMI cable,

In wall is a 50' HDMI cable

Reciever to Wall outlet is another 4' HDMI cable.

I've experienced similar issues connecting direct tv reciever through my Onkyo A\V reciever in the past.

Any recommendations on steps to troubleshoot?

So far I've replaced the small 4' HDMI cables and still have the same problems. We mostly watch HD channels.

Thanks

Larry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
That's a 58' run of HDMI, which may just be at the very edge of delivering an image properly. You may want to consider picking up an active HDMI booster to restore the HDMI signal out of the wall plate behind the TV and then passing it on to the TV.

I have a 75' cable which did not at all like it when I added couplers and extension cables to the end of it, despite it working perfectly when taken point to point. So, the signal loss sounds like it is the culprit here.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=973&txtModelID=5060

I have not yet played with this extender with my 75' cable and couplers on the end so I can't say with 100% certainty that it works flawlessly, but I have used it with 50' cables with extensions at each end and a 1080p source without issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkouts View Post

Hi Guys,
   I have a 50" panasonic viera plasma connected to a DirectTV DVR receiver. Sporadically my TV goes black other than some HDMI 2 text that gets displayed. Sometimes when I wait long enough the video and audio comes back other times. I have to power off TV\Reciever and back on. I have the following cabling

TV to wall HDMI outlet is a 4' HDMI cable,
In wall is a 50' HDMI cable
Reciever to Wall outlet is another 4' HDMI cable.

I've experienced similar issues connecting direct tv reciever through my Onkyo A\V reciever in the past.

Any recommendations on steps to troubleshoot?

So far I've replaced the small 4' HDMI cables and still have the same problems. We mostly watch HD channels.

Thanks
Larry

What type of 50' cable is it? Is it a thick cable (24 awg) or something similar? Also what resolution are you using?

Try changing the DVR to 1080i/720p (go into the setup menu and uncheck 1080p). Basically you are likely getting a lot of bit errors when the blanks occur. That is because your cable can't handle the bitrate. If you try 1080i/720p, it reduces the bitrate from 1080p and you should have an improvement. Of course, all DirecTV channels come in 1080i/720p anyway - it's just the DVR that converts to 1080p, except for PPV 1080p/24 movies. So you shouldn't see any quality difference at 1080i/720p.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thank Andy,

I ended up buying one of the TrippLite Extenders and installed it. Within a couple hours of viewing it ended up having the same issue. I reset the TV and receiver like I normally would and it happened again, seems as though it was happening more often with the extender installing. I've removed it since and on the verge of sending the extender back. Any other recommendations?

post #5 of 6 Old 10-16-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Do you have retrofit access? Did you run a cat-5e/6 cable?

I would get a HDBaseT transmitter/receiver set and try that with a long cat cable along the floor for a while to see what happens.

Have you tried bypassing the wall plates completely to take their signal loss out of the mix?

Have you tried plugging the HDMI cable directly into the DTV box?

Have you tried different HDMI inputs on the TV?

Finally, you can try moving the DTV box close to the TV and just using a short cable and seeing if it has an issue.

There is a fairly long list of issues which could be in play here, and I'm sorry to hear the signal booster didn't just 'fix' things.

Still lots to try though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkouts View Post

Thank Andy,
I ended up buying one of the TrippLite Extenders and installed it. Within a couple hours of viewing it ended up having the same issue. I reset the TV and receiver like I normally would and it happened again, seems as though it was happening more often with the extender installing. I've removed it since and on the verge of sending the extender back. Any other recommendations?

The key to figuring the problem out is to simplify and then replace one variable at a time.

So can you temporarily try the HR2x DVR direct to the TV with a short (6') known good cable? If possible the cable should be a High Speed cable.

The next step should be to add the AVR into the mix. However, one question I should have asked earlier, have you upgraded the Onkyo to the latest firmware? That's really the first step if the HR24 to TV directly works OK.

When you try the Onkyo, if possible (I know this may be impossible) can you move the Onkyo close to the TV so you don't have to use the 50' cable? A second 6' cable for the AVR to TV would be a great next step if it is possible (with the original 6' going from the HR2x to the Onkyo).

If all that works, then the next step is to change the small cable from the Onkyo to the TV to the 50' cable and see how that performs.

It isn't surprising that a generic extender would not work. They are too generic for most cable problems. I'd go with a Redmere cable before even recommending an extender.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page