What would cause this flickering ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought I had this figured out with a version upgrade on my reciever. Lasted all of 3 mins or so and started flickering. So, I'm running a hdmi from my sat box into my onkyo 470 reciever, then 1 hdmi main out to my samsung E6500 and since my reciever has a "sub" out , I ran that into my bedroom tv which is a samsung 43e450 . Now, if my receiver is set to "hdmi main out" everything works fine. If I set the receiver to "hdmi sub out" the bedroom tv works fine ( but obviously the main tv is shut down) .Now if I set the receiver to "hdmi both " both tvs work fine for a few minutes. Then the main tv starts to flicker and finally goes black( but the audio keeps going) .....see you tube video I posted

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2-vmSe4K600

Here is the kicker.... If I turn the power off in the bedroom tv with the remote , the main tv still flickers or goes blank. BUT ....if I unplug the bedroom tv from the wall, the main tv picture comes back on and works perfect. I swapped a few different hdmi cables and that didn't help. So , I replaced the bedroom tv temporary with a cheap walmart brand Seki tv and the main tv works perfect at the same time the Seki is on. So, I'm kinda lost on what the problem could be. Contacted both samsung and onkyo , either were no help and just said , some equipment works, some doesn't . Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-16-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 254
The answer is correct from Samsung & Onkyo.

The problem is likely in the Onkyo since that's the product which has to deal with the HDCP and EDID and the splitting of the HDMI source.

The problem is though that the TV in the bedroom is likely the culprit which is messing everything up. It may not conform to proper HDCP or EDID specifications, and it may be causing an override in the output of the Onkyo receiver since it is not a 1080p display. It may have a preferred native resolution of 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080 which is messing everything up. The Onkyo receiver may not be able to properly handle the two preferred resolutions properly... etc., etc., etc.

Options!

You can look for an inexpensive scaler to put between the Onkyo and the bedroom TV that can convert 1080p to 720p. I'm not sure an 'inexpensive' one can be found, and it may not truly fix the issue.

ie: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtb-hd-1080ps.jsp?prod_id=10048 - Note, one of the features specifically is down-conversion for multi-resolution distributed display setups.

I don't believe it is your cables.

Can you set the output resolution of the Onkyo to 720p? Can you force it to that?

Have you updated firmware on the Onkyo to the latest and greatest?

I'm out of other ideas at the moment.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-16-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the speedy reply, I have updated the firmware on the onkyo , and it did help the flickering ( slowed it down ) but did not solve it. I will definitely try the lowering of the resolution tonight . Will post the results ... Thanks again
post #4 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

I searched the onkyo settings, the only way I could force it tt to 720 p is if I only use the "hdmi main " out. When I go to both, it goes to auto. I am not familiar with the settings such as " through " or "direct" on the onkyo, reason I'm asking , maybe I could set the sat receiver to 720 or something ? Funny how such a small flaw in a electronic device can be so annoying confused.gif
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page