40ft of hdmi but only need 20ft - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I miss measured the distance I needed for my projector hdmi. I have it ran from the ceiling mount thru the snuff tube to my avr. I currently have the extra 20 feet just rolled up nearly next to the avr. My question is will I lose quality and just but a shorted cable or can I cut one end shorten it and attach a new hdmi connector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
DO NOT CUT THAT CABLE 40' is fine.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
The quality of signal delivered by the HDMI cable will be lower with a 40' cable than a 20' cable all other things being equal. That doesn't mean your picture quality will suffer. As long as the HDMI signal is just good enough, your picture will be as good as with a shorter cable. If you aren't getting sparkles or worse, the picture is as good as it gets. 40' is generally doable for 1080p60 2D and 1080p24 3D because you are running at less than half the maximum HDMI bit rate. Increase the bit rate by running DeepColor or higher resolution and you may have a problem.

Cutting the cable and reterminating is a bad idea unless you are making cables every day in a cable plant in China. The performance of the resulting 20' cable may be worse than the 40' cable. The correct solution is to get a new 20' cable.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Liked: 87
+1 for what Colm said.

Depending on the quality of the cable (the thickness of the cable is one measure), you may also be able to get 1080p/60 with deep color disabled.

Basically what we are all telling you is that High Speed cables cut off at just over 25'. Since you have a 40' cable, you weren't going to be able to get the high speeds that HDMI uses. However, 1080p/60 is not near the highest speeds, particularly with Deep Color disabled. Cutting that cable and then trying to re-terminate it will likely result in a non-functional cable and could also damage the equipment it is hooked up to. You'll find many topics of people who either 1) were unsuccessful in re-terminating an HDMI cable or 2) have invented this great method for re-terminating an HDMI cable that wouldn't be necessary if re-terminating an HDMI cable was easy.

If you do work in a cable shop in China, can you get us HDMI cables for less than Monoprice charges? How about new iPads? You probably shouldn't admit that, so nevermind - just pretend like you don't work there (wink, wink).
post #5 of 7 Old 10-28-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Ok so if I am getting signal then I am ok? I can rip the thing out if needed I don't want to lose quality over a 40ft cable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM

Liked: 87
Yep. If you don't see sparkles or lines or other obvious digital errors, then you are good to go as is.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 303
If it ain't broke...

The simple fact is that you can replace the cable at any time. Unless it bugs you having that extra length, then just leave it. If it does bug you, then go ahead and swap it out. But, there is no specific reason why you 'must' change it out as it does seem to be working fine.

As long as you have some smurf tube in place, then you are good to go for the long term and you are one of the few who are truly future-proofed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page