Is there a SIMPLE 4 x1 manual HDMI switch out there? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been looking for a 4 x 1 HDMI switchbox to do a supposedly simple task, connect more devices to a single TV HDMI port. I don't need a remote, I don't need auto sensing, I don't need one feather touch capacitive switching, No amps, no audio splitting, and please no wall warts, If I get another device with one I will scream.

All I am trying to do is emulate me unplugging one cable and plugging in another. That is it. Since copper doesn't care what goes through it nor does it need firmware upgrades, a regular mechanical switch will work with all of the protocall changes etc. unlike a chipset. Also since I will be using this for gaming I don't want any input lag that the complicated IC chip based ones may cause. The distance is short, like 3-4 feet so cable length getting too long is no issue. I tried to find a simple switchbox with just a knob or set of mechanical pushbuttons but the only one like that I found has only two outputs for a net gain of only one, that is not enough. Does anything like what I describe exist? I couldn't find any so any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-02-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Always keep in mind HDMI is not there to make life simpler or improve video or audio – it is there to protect high value content and as such requires power to drive the circuitry employed to encrypt and decrypt your content, plus a myriad of other ‘communication’ protocols.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx#42

Mechanical switching doesn’t meet the requirements as laid out by HDMI.org – hence your difficulty in finding any legitimate device to meet your requirement.

Joe

PS Our 5x1 has IR, Auto and Push button control - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%205port.htm

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 6 Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Not sure what the problem is, a quick search of ebay shows this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-HDMI-Manual-Switch-4-Input-to-1-Output-TV-PS3-/360467206299?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53ed85109b. I use a 3X1 "generic" unit. They are out there.

But just because it is "simple", doesn't mean it won't have issues. HDMI does have some necessary data specifications and conditions that may or may not be met by contacts in a box especially after repeated use. Not saying this unit (or others) are any better or worse, just beware of possible issues.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 AM

Liked: 87
You have to be careful with items like this for a few reason:

1) Often while they say mechanical, they really mean that the physical switch is mechanical but the actual connection is done with electronic switching and uses the power in the HDMI line (which we all know greatly reduces the likelihood of a device working in the HDMI world).

2) If you do find a mechanical switch, unless it is built to exacting standards (as it micron level), one of the 19 pins is going to make contact before the others. HDMI is running up to 10.2 gbps, so even a slight delay in connecting one line versus another can cause "confusion" in the source devices as they read the EDID (which is a much slower datarate) or attempting to generate a picture. If you were really unlucky you could get in the way of an HDCP handshake, but odds aren't good on that.

The bottom line is that a mechanical switch might work most of the time, as long as your source and sinks can handle "confused" data the moment you hit the switch. Unfortunately, "might work" is probably not good enough for most manufacturers when they already have a solution that should always work.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
I do plan on switching the inputs before turning on the devices to be connected. I also won't be doing it that much. Mostly this is for a gaming setup with consoles such as PS4, X1 etc. When I want to play a game on a certain system I will switch it and leave it that way for the duration of the game until I beat it, maybe more If I use the same system more. So by the time I switch on everything the switchbox will already be in the right position. In this case the TV won't know the difference as the connection will already be made. I guess that is a niche situation but I would think someone somewhere would make something. I saw that one the guy posted from the UK but I am in the US. I guess there are a few like that only they are hard to find. Something like that would be fine.

Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 09:18 PM

Liked: 87
Exactly how do you plan on doing that "switching the inputs before turning on the devices?" Unless you unplug the device from the AC outlet, the device will be in standby. Most source components still send their EDID out even when in standby. Makes it faster to enable the device later. So, unless you are plugging in the device each time, you are doing the opposite of what you said.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List