Hdmi uninterrupted line vs wall jacks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello All,

I'm a newbie to the forum and a novice in the audio/video world.  My request is for opinions and advice on a wiring setup that I am considering.

cable box -- 1.5 foot high speed hdmi -- keystone hdmi wall jack -- right angle portsaver -- 5 foot in wall high speed hdmi --  right angle portsaver -- keystone hdmi wall jack -- 3 foot high speed hdmi -- tv

And the same thing going to a bluray and the arc line of soundbar.

Monoprice does not sell angled keystone hdmi jacks, but their rep on chat suggested the portsavers.  I would like to use recessed wall boxes to mount the keystones and am worried about the in-wall bend to attach hdmi to back of keystones.  So, this means I will have 3 separate hdmi cables and 4 separate connectors (not including a portsaver that may be required to attach to the soon to be had television).

I can bypass all of this by using pass through wall plates, but the above would be neater and more in tune with my "ocd"ness.

I can get angled keystones to eliminate the in-wall angled portsavers.

But the question remains: which hdmi cable would be suitable to provide 3D and arc with multiple segments?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Try:

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=135&gclid=CMbJ2v62xroCFel_QgodOEkAuQ

Any certified high speed HDMI cable will work for 3D/ARC. However, it would be best to eliminate as many "connectors" as possible between the source and sink, which is what I think you are trying to accomplish.
Ron2009 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 217
That is a problem. Too many people's OCD is pointed in the wrong direction and is aimed at appearance instead of quality. I'd go with the minimum number of connectors and use feedthroughs. Just my 2¢...
Ron2009 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
You really want to watch the bend behind walls. If this is a short run which you can access after the fact, then go ahead and try it with clean wall boxes. I've done this in the past with great success... I've done it in the past with lousy results. Yep, both ways, and it sucks sometimes and is awesome sometimes.

I would use a slim HDMI cable behind the wall if you can and I would use angled HDMI connectors at both ends as long as you have room for them to be used properly.

I would NOT used 'recessed' boxes, but I would use flush boxes. This means when the HDMI cable is removed from the front side, you have a flat surface like any electrical outlet would typically be. HDMI is FAR to deep of a cable to properly work any other way and will struggle enough behind the wall with an angled connector. At least, that's been my experience.

Parts Express makes a very nice slim HDMI cable which should work. I use their 6' cables regularly with great success.

Just remember, you really can't put HDMI cables through really tight bends. So keep that in mind as you are putting it all together, and be prepared to pull the cable through the wall, point-to-point, if necessary.
Ron2009 likes this.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 87
You'll have roughly 3.5-inches depth inside the wall to work with. You don't want any tight bends. So, other than that you are OK.

The reason that you should reduce the number of connectors is that each one of them is a chance for the cable to come apart. It's a potential failure-point, even if you never touch it.

I can tell you I have a keystone HDMI connector connected to a 50 foot 22 awg cable in-wall and it works fine. I made sure the bend in the cable was as smooth as possible, sending the cable downwards and to the side before heading the cable up the wall.

The advantage of the portsavers is that if there is pressure on the cable line you break the portsaver before you break the TV, component or HDMI cable connector.

Luckily your length of total cable is not bad and as Otto pointed out a High Speed cable provides you 3D and ARC. Remember Blu-Ray 3D uses less bandwidth than a 2D Blu-Ray running 1080p/60.
Ron2009 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thank you gentlemen for your insight.  I will wire in wall with 90 degree angled keystones to help eliminate bends and use a 24 awg high speed hdmi cable in wall. 

post #7 of 7 Old 11-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Liked: 87
Remember to test as fully as possible before you put the cable in the wall. Testing only after putting the cable in the wall is one of the big mistakes people make.
Ron2009 likes this.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page