HDMI capture device for my laptop via USB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Folks,

I am looking for a HDMI capture device that receives HDMI Video and Audio from Digital / Video cameras, and sends it to my laptop via USB. On my PC I would like to use it on Adobe Live Media Encoder for Streaming over the net.

Can anyone suggest any devices that are available in the market for this.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked: 87
Do the Digital / Video cameras use HDCP copyright protection?

If not, it becomes a much easier problem.

What resolution do you want to feed your laptop? That's probably going to be the deal-breaker (along with HDCP).

If no HDCP, here's the first place I'd send you:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/
post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2013, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Alk2997.

I have not bought the camera, and am open to whichever model suits the capture card (probably from Sony, there are enough Sony cameras with HDMI output but I do not know if any of these use HDCP). Examples of camera could be Sony Cybershot DSC-WX150 having mini-hdmi port, or even a good Android mobile such as Samsung Galaxy SIII which supports conversion from its mini-USB port to HDMI output

Today, I am using an old Sony video camera, that has an S-Video output. I connect it to a capture card with S-Video input (a local product called Intex TV box), which feeds the video to my Laptop at resolution 680 x 480.

I am planning to upgrade to a HDMI camera and hence need for a HDMI capture card (USB based). The resolution I am looking for is 720p with 30 frames per second. 1080p will be a bonus but not essential.

Hope this clarifies.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 AM

OK, I understand a bit more of what are looking for. Take a look at this review:

http://www.cameralabs.com/PC_Hardware_reviews/HDMI_capture/Blackmagic_Design_Intensity_Pro_review.shtml

It is 4 years old and cameras have changed but it will still provide some useful information.

However, one thing I must point out is that USB and HDMI are two separate formats. What Samsung uses is a proprietary MHL to HDMI adapter (not just a cable). There is no such thing as standard USB output going to HDMI just using a cable. So, I still really don't understand what you are trying to do with USB in this instance. Unless you are doing real-time work, I'm still at a loss as to why you need a capture card.

And, I'm sorry, but anything without a lens isn't a true camera - it's a phone.

This is going to be very different than s-video capture. A lot of the methods you've done with s-video capture are gone now. On the good side now, the cameras store the digital format and are able to download without a capture card after you are done recording.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Alk3997. I looked at the product you mentioned. It is a PCI express card, and will not fit into my laptop. Hence I am looking for a similar capture card, but where the video and audio are fed to the laptop via USB port instead of the PCI express slot.

I actually want to do LIVE streaming of events as and when they occur, and a camera with recording facility is not suitable. Hence the need for a capture card.

I agree with you comment on the mobile phone. However there are a couple of Samsung android mobiles with proper camera - ie. Camera lens with 10x or 21x optical zoom (Samsung camera GC100 and Samsung S4 Zoom - both these should output HDMI via the MHL to HDMI adapter).

post #6 of 14 Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 AM

That's going to be a little more difficult particularly if your USB ports are only USB 2.0. 1080p/60 over HDMI produces data at around 3gbps (2.9gbps). USB 2.0 maxes out at around 400 mbps. So USB only has 1/7th the speed needed for uncompressed 1080p/60, which is what HDMI sends out. For reference, your old s-video capture method produced video at the highest rate of 221 mbps or 1/13th of the speed of HDMI. And, that was being generous since I doubt it saved the video uncompressed.

There are a lot of USB 3.0 to HDMI adapters since USB 3.0 supports up to 5 gbps. I only see one device that converts HDMI to USB 3.0. There is little demand since most HDMI output cannot be captured (copy protection prevents that).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686585-REG/Blackmagic_Design_BINTSSHU_Intensity_Shuttle.html

Basically your old way of doing things isn't going to work with a digital signal.

However, if your laptop has ExpressCard slots (the upgraded PCMCIA standard). You could use one of these:
http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/HDMI-to-ExpressCard-HD-Video-Capture-Card-Adapter-1080p~ECHDCAP

Here's B&H Photo/Video's list of capture adapters:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=hdmi+capture&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

Usually if B&H doesn't have a camera accessory, it isn't available.

Overall you may have to look at other ways to get the HDMI signal into your laptop. Or get a camera that does the streaming by itself.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-06-2013, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Alk3997. I do not have express card slot on my Dell laptop. I do have USB 3.0 though.

post #8 of 14 Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M Shankar View Post

Thanks Alk3997. I do not have express card slot on my Dell laptop. I do have USB 3.0 though.

This looks to be your best choice (and possibly only choice):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686585-REG/Blackmagic_Design_BINTSSHU_Intensity_Shuttle.html

Please note the large number of requirements for the motherboard. I don't know if your Dell laptop will meet those - you would have to check on that.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M Shankar View Post

This looks to be your best choice (and possibly only choice):

Please note the large number of requirements for the motherboard. I don't know if your Dell laptop will meet those - you would have to check on that.
Quote:
post #10 of 14 Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 AM

I found that to be a strange note. I didn't think the Intesity device could read the manufacturer's name :-)

I wonder what it is about Dell motherboards that in general keeps the Intesity from working? I understand the other constraints involving which type of motherboards are compatible.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-06-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I would contact Black Magic Design and ask them specifically about compatibility of any products with what you want to do.

If not, and you require a commercial grade solution which is reliable, then this is it:

http://www.vaddio.com/product/av-bridge

This is what we have been using since it was released with basically zero complaints. Black Magic apparently causes some real headaches in compatibility with some machines and pieces of software, which the Vaddio piece does not.

Yep, plan on paying for this level of quality.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Maybe being a bit simplistic but why convert the digital Output to HDMI – as others have said HDMI is very poorly supported as a capture device due to it being primarily designed as a Copy Protected transport for Consumer media!

Look for a camera with Firewire output and use a Firewire to USB adapter.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #13 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 AM

There are cameras that support streaming video such as the V520 from Panasonic:

Wi-Fi capability (802.11b/g/n)
Along with Ustream allows you to broadcast your videos to the Internet in real time for easy sharing.

and there are other choices.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You beat me to it – was about to link to this New JVC unit which looks like a fun option to have a play with.

http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=41

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page