3 TV's and 1 DVD player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question:

Can 3 televisions share one Blu-ray DVD player?

I have three Samsung Smart TV's:
UN55F7100
UN46F7100
UN40F6400

I have one Blu-ray player:
Sony BDP S5100

Objective:
- Use one Blu-ray player for three televisions

- Watch a Blu-ray movie on either of the three televisions (separately OR simultaneously).

- Have remaining two TV's be able to watch OTA television or streaming services while the third tv is using the Blu-ray player.

I am unclear as to whether I need a splitter or a switch or a delimiter? Please help. Trying to please the wife and kids.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Objective:
- Use one Blu-ray player for three televisions

- Watch a Blu-ray movie on either of the three televisions (separately OR simultaneously).

- Have remaining two TV's be able to watch OTA television or streaming services while the third tv is using the Blu-ray player.

I am unclear as to whether I need a splitter or a switch or a delimiter? Please help. Trying to please the wife and kids.

Thank you in advance.[/quote]

What you want to can be done with a switch from mono price.com
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6415&seq=1&format=2
or
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011307&p_id=7972&seq=1&format=2
All the tvs need the same resolution for the 2 or 3 using the BluRay at the same time.
But there is still the remote control for the BluRay and the matrix switch. Going with the pro 1X4 splitter solves the remote issue on the switch and there are if repeaters that you can use for the BluRay, unless every one can take a few steps in to another room.
I have used both and found the pro splitter a much preferred solution.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

What you want to can be done with a switch from mono price.com
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6415&seq=1&format=2
This product will not work. It only has 2 outputs, and you have 3 TVs, so this isn't it.
This product will work.

What you want is a splitter. Think about it - You need to SPLIT the HDMI output to three different TVs.

The OTA signal, I assume, is coming directly to the televisions, so you would just switch from your HDMI input, to the local TV tuner input, and watch TV.

There are solutions which allow you to use multiple cable boxes, another HMDI source, and the Blu-ray player with your 3 TVs as well, and it is identical to the first product linked above, but a bit larger...
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5704&seq=1&format=2

That has 4 inputs on it which allows you to connect up to four different sources. For example, a cable tuner, a PS3, a AppleTV, and your Blu-ray Disc player.
Then, you can connect up to four TVs. You only have three, but it has room for up to four.
Each TV can watch any of the four sources however they like. So, TV 1 can watch Blu-ray, TV 2 could watch cable TV, and TV 3 could watch AppleTV. If TV 1 wants to watch cable TV as well, then both TV 1 and TV 2 would now be watching cable TV.

The downside is that the image will flash off and then back on as copyright protection is authenticated across the displays and sources (HDCP).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you very much...to both of you.
A lot of negative feedback on these Monoprice items.
At what price range do these units start getting good?
post #5 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post

Monoprice.com sells a lot of product and as always there are some units that fail and some that don't do what someone thinks they should, mostly because of a lack of knowledge of the capabilities of the unit. A good example of just that was me suggesting the 4X2 matrix switch. I have used one in the passed when what you needed was a three way splitter. The one I suggested is a 4 way splitter. I use a 2 way pro without failure. What I say is get what you need and if you have any sort of a problem Monoprice has about the best customer service out there, I just would not worry about the PMS in the feed back.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-14-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post

At a much higher price. smile.gif

There is no specific point where things get to be 100% reliable. Crestron, Extron, Purelink... Hundreds of dollars. The Extron HDMI DA4 (1x4 HDMI splitter) has an MSRP of $990. Yes, it will work well.

But, the Monoprice one will work well to as long as you use decent cables and your setup isn't to crazy. If your TVs are 100' apart from each other, then you need to address how you are getting video to all of them reliably.

Lot's of expensive solutions exist which work well, but MP is king of the cheap solution which typically works for most people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hello hazelnut

HDMI and its encryption buddy HDCP can make for a frustrating experience at times when you are trying to share one or more devices with two or more Display devices.

There is no ‘rule of thumb’ in terms of price – instead you can look for features which can assist you if you happen to hit problems with your particular collection of equipment.

EDID management and a USB port (allowing simple Firmware changes) have been the most important ‘features’ we have added to our product range over the last couple of years.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%20splitter_3x8.html

How long are the cable runs to your three TV’s and what cables are currently installed.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -

post #8 of 8 Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

I have 2 Vizio 3D sets both on the output ends of a Monoprice.com, what they call Pro splitter. The pro lets both of the 3D set work at the same time, 2D or 3D, needs no remote, like a switch does. Cost about 50 bucks. I use 25 foot Monoprice 22 gage HDMI cables, with about 3 feet of smaller mixed in to tie everything together. It small and other then a little red light you would not know its there. By the way the only thing I have run into is it needs to be by passed for a 3D pay per view on DirecTV, but just 3D? I try never tell anyone what to do just what worked for me. The way the AV world is changing I just can't bring my self to spend big bucks on the playthings. cool.gif
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
Samsung Un55f7100 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f7100 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40f6400 40 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page