Changing channels picture is delayed by 8 seconds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-12-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have my Comcast HD cable box connected to a Denon Receiver with an HDMI cable.  Then I have the outlet of the receiver going to the Epson projector using a HDMI cable also.

SO you think it in my cables then?  Everything still works and looks great,  just a 8 second delay to get a picture when I change channels. Even when I turn on my PS3 (Connected with HDMI also)  it has the same delay before you get the picture.

When I change channels I am getting the sound right away,  just not the picture until about 7 to 8 seconds later.

Thanks for your help.  I will do some HDMI trouble shooting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-12-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownmattro View Post

I have my Comcast HD cable box connected to a Denon Receiver with an HDMI cable.  Then I have the outlet of the receiver going to the Epson projector using a HDMI cable also.

SO you think it in my cables then?  Everything still works and looks great,  just a 8 second delay to get a picture when I change channels. Even when I turn on my PS3 (Connected with HDMI also)  it has the same delay before you get the picture.

When I change channels I am getting the sound right away,  just not the picture until about 7 to 8 seconds later.

Thanks for your help.  I will do some HDMI trouble shooting

Why? The system is likely operating as it was designed.

One way you can reduce the time needed during a channel change is to keep the output resolution the same to the projector. First try to set the Denon (you didn't say which model so I can't tell you how) so that it will always output 1080p.

If you can't do that, set the Comcast box so it will always output 1080i (I doubt it has 1080p capability).

See if that helps.

If it does not, then your description implies that the problem is with the transmission from the Denon to the projector. That would be the cable to try to swap, if none of the above changes anything (which I think it will).
post #3 of 3 Old 11-12-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
As Andy says it is very unlikely this has anything to do with your installed HDMI cables and everything to do with HDCP (and possibly EDID).

Projectors have always tended to take longer than flat panel Displays in terms of negotiation EDID and HDCP – stick an AVR into the mix and now time stands still.

Have you ensured the Projector, AVR and your Sources are running the latest Firmware updates – this can make a big difference to handshaking/authentication times.

Is the AVR set to HDMI Passthru or are you pre-processing the video signals within the AVR?

Joe

PS Some background info on HDCP here - https://www.facebook.com/TheMediaFactory/posts/294738857305184

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page