Weird HDMI port problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I wasn't really sure where to post this, so sorry if this isn't the best spot. But I figure I'd hit up you experts here.

I have an old Samsung Slimfit (don't remember the exact model sorry), it has 2 hdmi ports. Never had an issue.

I just got my PS4, all happy to play and I get no signal. I thought it got hit with one of the rare PS4s with bad HDMI ports.

Discouraged I tried to play 360 (on a seperate hdmi port) and noticed I got no signal as well. Then I tried TV. No signal.

But I discovered turning the TV off and on again brings the HDMI port back to life as long as the thing I want to use (360, PS4 etc) is already on before I turn on the TV.

Is there a way to fix this? Did the PS4 do something? Is it a handshake issue or hdcp problem?

The only other thing I did recently this TV was hooked up a monoprice active 5x1 switch connected with a redmere cable, a 3 of the other devices connected to it as well. But there wasn't any problems and it was all working. Any insight you guys have is much appreciated! Thanks! (Yes I know get a new TV is a good solution lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Too many variables.

Power everything Off at the wall and then connect PS4 direct to Display (no other devices connected to Display) and then repower.

I would start with a non-redmere HDMI cable.

Joe
evophile likes this.

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Joe, thanks for the response!

So I unplugged everything, the TV off the wall and hooked up just the PS4 into my first hdmi port via a non-redmere cable.

I'm now getting "Not Supported Mode". It seems to know its there but doesn't like what it's getting?
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The PS4 is going to be capable of modes 1080p60/1080p24 which your Display may not support - usually with a Console there is a way to get it to reset and start in a lower res video mode.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #5 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by evophile View Post

Hi all, I wasn't really sure where to post this, so sorry if this isn't the best spot. But I figure I'd hit up you experts here.

I have an old Samsung Slimfit (don't remember the exact model sorry), it has 2 hdmi ports. Never had an issue.

I just got my PS4, all happy to play and I get no signal. I thought it got hit with one of the rare PS4s with bad HDMI ports.

Discouraged I tried to play 360 (on a seperate hdmi port) and noticed I got no signal as well. Then I tried TV. No signal.

But I discovered turning the TV off and on again brings the HDMI port back to life as long as the thing I want to use (360, PS4 etc) is already on before I turn on the TV.

Is there a way to fix this? Did the PS4 do something? Is it a handshake issue or hdcp problem?

The only other thing I did recently this TV was hooked up a monoprice active 5x1 switch connected with a redmere cable, a 3 of the other devices connected to it as well. But there wasn't any problems and it was all working. Any insight you guys have is much appreciated! Thanks! (Yes I know get a new TV is a good solution lol)

Look on the back of the Slimfit for the model number. Then use the Samsung website to find out what resolutions your Samsung supports. As Joe said, If the PS4 is trying to send a resolution (or other part of the signal) out which the TV does not support, you will get that type of message.

The only other possibility you didn't metion is that it could be a firmware problem. Has the TV been upgraded to the latest firmware version?
evophile likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like it was indeed some compatibility mode. To get things to work I had to turn on my TV with the 360 on in HDMI2 and i could get a picture. Then I would be able to turn to HDMI and get the PS4 image. I'm ot sure exactly why this worked, but it did. The challenge the was that the PS4 required an update and would turn itself off twice in the process which resulted in me losing signal every time. And having to turn off and on the tv and turn back on the 360 to get the picture back.

Once this was done and I was finally able to get into the PS4 system settings, I changed the video output from "automatic" to "1080i" (720p setting made the image "jumpy")

Unfortunately it seems Samsung never ever released a new firmware for my set TX-T3093WH

I've since plugged everything else back in and it seems to be working. So thanks again!
Joe Fernand likes this.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page