REDMERE HDMI VERSION 2.0 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 12-06-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
^^^^ oh my! I had forgotten about that. Still never figured out my liquid nitrogen/carboy system for cooling down the cable to increase audio fidelity. Now, where did I put my notes........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 12-06-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I run my Dvd Recorders with the HDMI cable attached, no filter. We still have a good box for recording. When we dump it I'll buy a Logic Design Filter.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #33 of 39 Old 12-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

I run my Dvd Recorders with the HDMI cable attached, no filter. We still have a good box for recording. When we dump it I'll buy a Logic Design Filter.

I just wanted to check to make sure you weren't going to be in for a surprise.

HDMI is, with the exception of very specialized camcorder input cards, a non-recording interface. When you attach an HDMI cable it is designed to go from source to destination, without any recording of the signal on the HDMI cable. One of the things that is supposed to prevent that is called HDCP, which is an encryption scheme (that has been broken) not analog copy protection like Macrovision. The other thing that prevents copying from HDMI is that all of the manufacturers who have signed-up for HDMI licenses have signed in blood that they won't produce anything that can record HDMI, particularly in the U.S.

The exception are the camcorders who don't use encryption in their output. There are PC-based cards that can be used for recording unencrypted output.

HDMI is actually a lousy place to record anyway. The data is uncompressed and can approach 10.2 gbps (although 1080p/60 with audio is about 4 gbps). That's a lot of data to record. A better place to record is at the source where the data is already compressed.

So, I don't think a filter is going to help you with HDMI. I'm not entirely sure about what you are trying to record (and I don't need to know) but I didn't want you to get surprised when you try to find a way to record with HDMI and can't find one with any known manufacturer.
post #34 of 39 Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 PM

I'm doing it right now. I did it with Component and now with HDMI. The new cable boxes stop you. We have one that's a no go, flagging everywhere. I pay the bill, I keep it.

post #35 of 39 Old 12-08-2013, 10:55 AM

After pulling cables and resetting up different configurations I decided on this. I don't want to have to run my Sony STR-DG910 all the time to see the tv so I pulled the HDMI cable out from the cable box to the tuner sat in. Now I run a RF out to one recorder and HDMI out to the Tv, on the other recorder I run an S-Video out and composite audio to the other recorder and run it on line 1, then Component video to the Tv, both out of the same box. Other that actual HDTV I do like Component and S-Video resolution better. So for what I do I can record a program and edit video at the same time which works fine for me. I get my main audio through an Optical cable from the cable box PCM, and NEO from the Tv, also Optical. I wish Sony Didn't make you keep the tuner on for video but they did.

Thanks for all the information on this.

post #36 of 39 Old 12-08-2013, 02:21 PM

That sounds good for standard def (s-video is standard def only and so is RF output from a typical cable box).

When you decide to go to high definition you're going to find it is a lot harder to do what you want unfortunately. The content providers have pretty much said that for cable/satellite your only choices in high definition are a DVR or (cable only) a 1394 connection, if you can still find a recorder with 1394 (Firewire).
post #37 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 08:17 AM

That is the downside, the box is HD so pq is great for HD. The plus side which I just found out last night is that I can watch a HD movie while recording in SD. I could hook up another HDMI cable in to the Tv though but what would I do with it. I thought I'd miss not having the five inputs my Sony Tv had but I don't, each input on the Samsung F43-4500 is separate, just toggle with the remote. It will be nice when I hook up an HTPC.

post #38 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 AM

HD is a big difference over SD. So, the HDMI cable would be a big upgrade just to see the HD channels in HD. On the downside, you might realize what you are missing recording in SD.
post #39 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 PM

I will buy another HDMI cable then. I only bought one as a test. When I hook up another I can report back. Keep the good information coming.

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page