HDMI to DVI with Audio cables (and vice versa) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I need to connect stuff to my old projector that only has DVI capabilities. After doing some googling, I came across these two cables:

http://www.svideo.com/dviaudio2hdmi.html
and
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zKQFbPRzRmsJ:www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php%3Fm%3Dproduct_detail%26p%3D1408+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

They both simply consist of an HDMI connector on one end and a DVI-D on the other, with a 3.5mm audio jack hanging off it.

My question is how can these possibly work? I thought with HDMI the audio is muxed with the video in one digital signal. So how could a passive cable, with no active circuitry, be able to demux the digital stream and output the audio to analog?

These are the only cables I've found; Monoprice, Amazon, etc, no one else has 'em! All they have are much pricier externally-powered converter boxes. These cables seem too good to be true! Has anyone any experience using them?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
'These cables seem too good to be true!' - got it in one!

You require active circuitry to extract the audio out of an HDMI signal.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%201x1%20Audio%20Converter.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Well ok,but why, then, would they sell something that had absolutely zero chance of working in any scenario? Yes, it could be a big scam, but for only $10 i'm not out much if it is. I don't need fancy surround sound, just stereo.

I appreciate the response though!
post #4 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Or maybe these cables just have separate analog audio wires integrated into the HDMI plug, and are meant to be used by devices that explicitly support them? Yet, I don't see anything in the product description that says that. weird
post #5 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

‘Yes, it could be a big scam, but for only $10 i'm not out much if it is’ - x1000 suckers a year who give it and go and can’t be bothered sending it back for a refund! Nice work if you can get it!

Joe

PS HDMI sockets can be utilised for pretty much any electrical signal you fancy connecting one to if you are simply using it as a small format socket and not adding an HDMI Transmitter or Receiver chip behind the socket. In some far flung corner of the globe there will be a device which sends Digital Video + stereo audio out of a non-standard HDMI socket – hence someone somewhere requires the cable you link to, just don’t expect it to work with a properly implemented HDMI socket.

post #6 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Ok guys, nevermind, i'm an idiot. I didn't look at the product carefully enough. There's actually two 3.5mm audio pigtails not just one. The HDMI side has one as well as the DVI. So really it's just an audio cable integrated into the HDMI cable innards

Darn. So next question: what/where is the cheapest converter I can get? I don't care much about audio quality.

Thanks.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah i'm just entirely over-thinking this. No device i'm going to use isn't going to have a 3.5mm audio out as well that I can then run a separate audio cable from. Originally I was thinking of Tablet or phone that only has HDMI connector, but then I realized they all have that seemingly seldom-used-nowadays 3.5mm jack as well :P

Thanks Joe for helping me critically think this one over and come to my own dumb conclusion biggrin.gif
Joe Fernand likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Good spot - these things are always too good to be true smile.gif

Monoprice have lots of followers on AVF - I'm sure they must have an audio extractor.

Joe

post #9 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Might as well ask...

How are you intending to deal with audio?

A/V receiver?
Projector speakers?
Something else?

Most people, with projectors, hook their sources up via HDMI to an HDMI enabled A/V receiver, then pass the HDMI video on to the projector. If your projector is DVI only, then a simple DVI->HDMI adapter is all that is necessary as the audio itself it already dealt with by the A/V receiver.

That said, Monoprice certainly does have a HDMI audio extractor (converter they call it)....

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2

I would go with an A/V receiver every day of the week, but you didn't mention any of the actual gear you are using... Projector brand/model, receiver brand/model, and the rest of the mysterious 'stuff' you alluded to.

More details will help us recommend more options and possibilities.

biggrin.gif

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page