HDMI Audio Extractor Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my TV connected to a computer via an HDMI cable. On the way to the TV, the cable goes through a HDMI Audio Extractor (TOSLink to AV Receiver).

I don't use this setup a lot, just occasionally when I record a TV show on the computer, but it has worked for months.

Now, the last two time I've booted up the computer, I don't get ANY sound from the computer to the TV (via the HDMI), or the AV Receiver (via the TOSLink), until I disconnect the power from the HDMI Audio Extractor and then plug it in again. (It took a lot of head scratching, and trial and error to figure it out the first time).

I have both the computer and the Extractor plugged into a power strip with a switch, so the when I power up the power strip, the Extractor powers on right away, then I turn on and boot up the computer. I don't think this should matter, since, as I've said, it's worked this way months until now.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Once the Computer has fully booted to your Desktop try toggling the Input on the TV away from then back to the relevant HDMI Input - which ought to kick-start the HPD process (assuming the Audio Extractor passes the relevant triggers to the TV).

If your Audio Extractor has on-board EDID management you may want to reset it to a suitable mode.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

This isn't a desktop setup. This computer is dedicated to the TV, so the TV is the monitor. The only things connected to it are the HDMI cable, a USB TV tuner stick, a USB WI-FI adapter, and a USB transceiver for the keyboard/mouse. Come to think of it, I temporarily connected a USB capture device to it for connecting it to a VCR, but that was only connected while I did a transfer. I can't remember if I did that before the problem started for the first time.

I didn't follow this: 'If your Audio Extractor has on-board EDID management you may want to reset it to a suitable mode", but the extractor specs say "Supports built-in audio EDID switch of LPCM2,5.1/7.1 or Bit stream".
post #4 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Liked: 87
In this case, Joe was just saying 'desktop' as in desktop or laptop. That the computer is dedicated towards playback or whatever is irrelevant. That it is a PC with Windows is more relevant.

What it sounds like to me is that the PC has a setting that changed recently. The setting is most likely an EDID setting although it could be something else. I'd look in the 'sound' applet and see what is selected as your default sound device. Then trace that driver down to see if there has been an update or you could try to delete and reinstall.

I don't suppose you have a backup of your boot drive from a while back when everything worked that you could go back to? It doesn't appear to me that anything connected to the USB ports is causing this.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
I just booted up the computer for the first time since I posted, to look for the setting. Guess what? The sound came right through without a problem confused.gif

However I got into more trouble. I was checking some other things, and noticed that the color from the DVD player was terrible. It turned out to be a bad connection on a component cable adapter that plugs into the back of the TV. Re-seating the plug from the adapter cleared that up, but in the process of moving the TV, I must have had my hand on the buttons at the bottom of the set, in just the right position and timing to put the TV into Store/Demo mode. I wasted half the morning trying to figure out what the heck was happening!eek.gifmad.gif

Once I remembered seeing Store Mode somewhere, I Googled "Samsung TV Store Mode", and found instructions to take it out of Store Mode. Unfortunately, some other settings got reset in the process, so it was quite a wasted morning. mad.gif
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page