HDMI CEC turning on 2 tv's due to splitter. Can I block this somehow? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys.

I've got a boxee box (digital media streamer) attached to a monoprice hdmi splitter and hooked up to 2 of my tv's and it works perfectly.

Recently I also picked up chromecasts for each tv and I've noticed that when the chromecasts uses HDMI CEC to change the input source on 1 tv, the other tv will also turn on and go to the same input source. 

I'm pretty sure this is due to the 2 tv's being connected to each other through the splitter.

My question is, is there any way to block the CEC signal from going through the splitter? Maybe there are specific splitters on the market that don't support HDMI CEC? Or would using maybe a 1 way HDMI cable work?

I wanna avoid having to turn off HDMI CEC since I like some of it's benefits

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Liked: 87
Normally I'd say you just need to find an HDMI splitter that doesn't send CEC (or has it as an option). However, given HDMI's need to satisfy the lowest common denominator, I suspect that would also disable CEC on the TV you want to use CEC.

Since the TVs don't have unique IDs for the CEC function, they are just receiving a CEC signal and responding to it.

The biggest problem is that you want CEC to work some of the time and not work other times. You can try a different splitter but I suspect (but don't know for sure) if that would completely disable CEC.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I think you slightly misunderstood. I don't need CEC from the device connected to the splitter since that's connected to 2 tv's. I only want CEC for the devices connected to their respective tv's.

So, yu're saying that there are splitters that don't support CEC? That would work. Do you have any recommendations?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Liked: 87
No actually I understood but you may not have. Look up "lowest common denominator" for HDMI before you purchase anything. There is a chance that no CEC anywhere would work if you added a non-CEC splitter including where you want CEC to work. Those separate inputs on your TVs may not be controlled separately from a CEC standpoint.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, ill look it up, thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 05-01-2014, 11:19 AM

Liked: 12
Not sure if you're still looking for a solution, but this might just help. It's a device that allows you to over-ride the CEC channel in an HDMI cable for IR commands (though you'd need one of these devices on each end, but for your purposes, one would be enough to not allow the CEC signal to go through.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009M9ZU5K

What HDMI splitter did you get? Have you experienced any other abnormalities where both TVs respond to signals from the boxee box or anything?

Best of luck!
-Matt
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page