HDMI cables - AVS Forum
HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World > HDMI cables
Fabricator's Avatar Fabricator 08:25 PM 01-19-2014
hello, i have been out of the loop for a lil while.

i need a basic hdmi cable. just for a run from my office down to a tv in the basement.

what is :
redmere
high speed

i don't think i need this stuff. but am wondering what it is.

thanx

Fabricator's Avatar Fabricator 08:33 PM 01-19-2014
oh. now i am seeing that they have Ethernet - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel .

i just need a basic cable. but idk if these will not work for me.
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 09:09 AM 01-20-2014
While you don't probably need Redmere, this information should help you (it's our standard answer #1):

There are only two types of HDMI cables. They are High Speed (also known as Category 2) cables and Standard Speed (also known as Category 1) cables. Each type has a few options. These two types of cables were defined by the HDMI Org to simplify cable selection for a consumer. Both types of cables have the same pinouts.

High Speed HDMI cables are capable of handling any HDMI signal currently used or planned. Standard Speed HDMI cables are guaranteed to be able to send 1080i and 720p images. Standard Speed cables may be able to handle high bandwidth signals such as 1080p/60, 1080p/24 2D or 1080p/24 3D, but it is not guaranteed. High Speed cables have passed tests to show that they can handle 1080p/60, 4K, etc.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

The cable does not "know" what it is sending. It is a dumb cable. If only takes bits from one end of the cable to the other. The only thing you have to make sure is that the cable has enough bandwidth to send the signals you want without bit errors. Bit errors will show up as obvious screen defects such as lines, sparkles or screens that change to a solid color or even no picture at all. Bit errors do not cause loss of resolution or loss of contrast, color or anything else that is usually considered "picture quality".

So, for 1080p/24 3D or 1080p/60 2D you would want a High Speed HDMI cable and try to use ones that either provide the certificate online or have great user reviews, such as Monoprice or Blue Jean Cables or some of the others you'll find in this forum's archives. One warning is that some companies claim to have high speed cables that are not. Make sure you check reviews or see their certification. Sometimes they certify a shorter cable for high speed and then claim that longer cables are also covered. The longer cables are not. The maximum length for a certified passive High Speed cable is just over 25 feet. Look at a Redmere technology active cable or converting to Cat 6 for longer runs requiring a high speed HDMI cable.

The HDMI Org has stated that passive High Speed HDMI cables will work with HDMI 2.0 equipment. Monoprice's website shows Redmere cables that are reportedly compatible with HDMI 2.0. However, there is no way for a consumer to test compatibility at this time since HDMI 2.0 devices are not yet available.

Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 09:46 AM 01-20-2014
^^^^ number 2 for the year, and we're not even done with January yet biggrin.gif
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 10:18 AM 01-20-2014
I thought that was 3 biggrin.gif
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 10:51 AM 01-20-2014
^^^^ you're correct! Math was never my strongest suit rolleyes.gif
Fabricator's Avatar Fabricator 06:50 PM 01-20-2014
thanx, alk cool.gif

Otto. wth are you talking about ?

this place needs better smillies
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 07:42 PM 01-20-2014
^^^^^ Andy has been using his "canned" HDMI comment for a long time now. It's very well written, accurate, and not preachy to those who are just learning about HDMI. He used it so many times last year that it sort of became an inside joke to some of us regulars. Last year I think he posted it 9 or 10 times so I started keeping better count. smile.gif
AV_Integrated's Avatar AV_Integrated 09:29 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

hello, i have been out of the loop for a lil while.

i need a basic hdmi cable. just for a run from my office down to a tv in the basement.

what is :
redmere
high speed

i don't think i need this stuff. but am wondering what it is.

thanx
How long is your cable run? Is it going to be accessible later on if the cable goes bad and you need to replace it?

Generally, I use Monoprice HDMI cables that are 22AWG. They are very thick, and don't bend easily, but they are a robust product. I've used them with 1080p/60 material at 75' without issue which is well beyond what they are rated to (on paper) at that distance.

But, if this is going into an unfinished space, and then you are finishing it behind drywall, then make sure you add 1-2 pieces of cat-5e/6 cabling so that if the HDMI cable ever is damaged or doesn't work, you can go with a HDBaseT solution.
Up
Mobile  Desktop