Convert signal to coaxial? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

At work we have 8 LCD TVs mounted with only a power and coaxial cable drop behind them. The coax for the displays terminates in our server room where it's all just hanging there not connected anything.

Currently I'm running a small form factor PC behind each TV to power each display and show our digital signage. The PCs are connected to our network via wifi and plugged into the TV with an HDMI cable.

What I'd ideally like to accomplish is to remove the PCs behind each display, replace them with one PC in the server room and output it's display over the coaxial cable. I have vga, display port, hdmi and DVI outputs available. Sound would be preferred (but not necessary), so I guess I'd be looking for hdmi or display port to coaxial, and I'd assume I would need some sort of amplifier to split the signal across the 4 displays.

Is what I want to accomplish possible? If I can convert my PC signal to coax is the quality going to be good enough? We have a fair amount of small text that needs to be legible. 

I've seen some systems that seem like they *might* do what I need for a few thousand bucks, spending maybe $500 or so is more where I'd like to be.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This has been covered before in the archives of previous forum entries. Basically coax is a modulated signal so you would need a high definition modulator that the TV's tuner would then pick-up in 1080i.

Those exist. Here's an example - http://www.amazon.com/ZeeVee-ZVPRO820-1080i-Channel-Modulator/dp/B00E3W8FZ8

If you are sending the same thing out to each TV, you would only need one modulator. That's the good news. The bad news is they are well north of $500 (at least last time I looked).

Since you have small print, do not use a standard definition modulator or a 720p modulator. In your case the extra 360 lines will be important and interlacing won't matter since the image isn't changing rapidly. You probably won't be happy with the results with anything but 1080i (or 1080p, if that even exists).

Also remember that your PC would have to output at 1920x1080. Most PCs these days can, but you should check that.

That's the easy coax solution. There are other ways to handle this but that would require different cables.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
ZeeVee is what I would recommend and they have a number of products that are all over the place in terms of what you can get:
http://www.zeevee.com/products/zvpro

But, if you have VGA output and analog audio you can modulate it and send it out for about $1,300 using the ZvPro 610.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=996519&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Quality will be HD and should look very good. You will likely want to match your PC resolution to the output resolution of the ZvPro.

I am assuming all TVs are HDTV and that they have built in QAM tuners, as most do these days, but you will want to check on that.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page