How to Connect ATV 3 via HDMI to AV for Component output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-22-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death on this forum, I wasn't able to find a straightforward answer to the following:

I have a home theater projector setup that has only component and DVI cables connected, no way to connect HDMI. DVI does not work anymore but the component works so I connected ATV 3 over HDMI to the Yamaha AV Receiver, that connects fine and AV sees the HDMI connection, but I am unable to see output from the AV over the component cable connected to the overhead Epson projector. How can make this configuration work given that I cannot install a HDMI cable from the AV to the projector? 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 PM

Liked: 87
Basically the answer to your question is, 'you can't (mostly)'. It is against the HDMI Org's licensing agreements to allow copy protected HDMI signals to be converted to analog high definition. Component video is analog. HDMI is digital. So you cannot go from HDMI to component video by the rules.

There are some companies that are not in the U.S. that make converters. They usually disappear quickly and there is nothing to say that a future HDMI product won't send a signal that disables those converters (but that hasn't happened yet). Whatever converter you would get should be HDCP compatible, or else it won't work.

Search for HDFury on Google and that will give you a good start (and be prepared for sticker shock). Not sure how much further we should discuss here.

BTW, DVI and HDMI are interchangeable (except for audio). You just need an HDMI to DVI (or vice-a-versa) adapter.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
In addition to Andy’s reply you need to note that ATV (3rd Gen) doesn’t support 1080i via HDMI so with a ‘converter’ in place you will need to stick the ATV to 720p or 1080p (whichever your Display supports) or search out a more costly ‘converter’ which can ‘scale’ 1080p to 1080i.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #4 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, that makes sense. Two questions: 1. with a box like HDFury, I am assuming you are suggesting that ATV3 will connect to it via HDMI, the box in turn will connect to the AV receiver and it will all work correct? 2. If I were to use DVI adapter, then can I connect ATV3 to the adapter which in turn connects to the DVI cable that runs straight to the projector bypassing the AV receiver. But in this case how will I get audio to the 5.1 speakers that are connected to the AV receiver, unfortunately my AV box does not have a DVI interface.  Thanks!

post #5 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM

Since the DVI input no longer works on your projector, you would use the fury box at the output of the AVR to convert to component which you would then send to your projector.
Joe Fernand likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 254
If you were going straight to the projector, bypassing your A/V receiver, then you would use the optical audio output of the ATV to the receiver to get 5.1 audio from ATV into the receiver.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM

But, that isn't what the OP asked...
post #8 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks alk3997, question: Is it safe to assume that I can connect the HDfury box to the output of the AVR, and connect the projector to the HDFury over component, and the ATV3 to the AVR - or did I miss something? This setup will only work if I have a HDFury box with component input and output, - correct.

Thanks AV_Integrated, to your suggestion, in case if the DVI cable works (I need to test it again), I can connect ATV3 using an adapter to the DVI cable, run optical audio from ATV3 to AVR, and then on the projector end, connect the DVI to the Epson 8350 via a DVI-Component adapter - correct?     

post #9 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
HDFury (all versions) have HDMI In and HD15 (VGA) Out plus usually include an HD15 to 3RCA adapter cable.

Andy is suggesting you connect your Source devices via HDMI (where available) to the AVR and the AVR via HDMI to the HDF and the HDF to your installed analogue cable – this will deliver HD video in an analogue format to your Display (though as before you need to ensure your Source > AVR > Display signal is compatible).

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #10 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Really at this point we should all just say that you can find HDFury information using Google (or check other threads on AVSForum).
post #11 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net-Wiz View Post

Thanks AV_Integrated, to your suggestion, in case if the DVI cable works (I need to test it again), I can connect ATV3 using an adapter to the DVI cable, run optical audio from ATV3 to AVR, and then on the projector end, connect the DVI to the Epson 8350 via a DVI-Component adapter - correct?
Yes, but no.

For audio, you are correct, you could just connect optical to your A/V receiver and you will get 5.1 from the ATV or any other source which supports digital audio output separately from the video, such as your cable box, or the PS4.

But, you can't use adapter cables to get from HDMI to analog. That is, HDMI is 100% digital, if your final connection is component video, composite video, s-video, or VGA, then those are all analog video connections, and the only way to make that connection to a HDMI device is to use a active HDMI to analog video converter, and one of the only ones out there is the HD Fury. It's about the dumbest thing in the world that HDMI and product manufacturers have done really in eliminating component video connections and worse that there aren't a ton of cheap HDCP strippers out on the market that do a decent job doing what the HD Fury does. If you were outside the USA, there are some cheaper alternatives.

But, what kind of projector do you have? Have you tested different DVI cables to it? Have you used shorter cables? Have you considered that it may be time to upgrade the projector?

It is best practice, as mentioned above, to simply run HDMI from all your sources to the A/V receiver. Then from the HDMI output of your A/V receiver run into the HD Fury, then from the output of the HD Fury, you would run component video to the projector. But, I don't know what kind of A/V receiver you have beyond 'Yamaha'. It's like saying "I have a Chevy, how do I make it hit 180 miles per hour?" Need an actual make and model of everything for best responses.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-04-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Just to close the loop on this for the benefit of all, I solved the problem as below. Foremost, the DVD-I cable I was planning on using seems to have gone dark permanently so had the do the following:

I connected all my devices (incl. ATV3) via HDMI to Yamaha AVR, then I connected the AVR via HDMI to a Kenexpro HDMI to Component Converter box ($50) obtained from B&H Audio Video, then Kenexpro to the Component cable running to the projector. It works perfectly with no visible resolution degradation.  Mission Accomplished.  

Thank all for helping!

post #13 of 16 Old 03-05-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

That's great that it works, and incredibly surprising...

If this is what you got:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/770115-REG/KanexPro_HDRGBRL_HDMI_to_Component_Converter.html

Then this line should mean that it should not work at all for you:
"Does not support HDMI devices that are HDCP encrypted"

Since almost all HDMI sources are HDCP encrypted, either it is stripping the encryption or something else is.

Really great that it's working for you though. If you run any source directly into the Kanexpro product, does it continue to work? I would love to pick one (or two) up if they are in fact working with HDCP enabled devices such as AppleTV.

post #14 of 16 Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I think that if you read thru the comments, it appears to work for "all sources"... surprise.... imagine that a box that is not really following HDCP "rules"... :-) I think if you "say it" (doesn't work with hdcp sources) then there isn't really a problem if it does ... :-) until some one gets "wise".
post #15 of 16 Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yes that is the unit I bought and it works when you have AVR in between ATV3 and other HDCP devices. Running ATV3 directly into it does not work for obvious reasons. 

Good luck. 

post #16 of 16 Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! Sounds like your AVR is stripping the HDCP. That's really lucky. I'm not sure, but you may want to watch out for firmware upgrades on it. biggrin.gif

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page