I need an HDMI splitter that passes Surround Sound FULL TIME! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-26-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to feed two different Dell Ultrasharp monitors with a common HDMI signal source. An older 3008WFP, that has a built-in 5.1 surround sound decoder, and a new U2713H, that only has a stereo 2.0 decoder. I also feed the full HDMI signal to my Oppo BDP-105 to decode the surround sound to high quality 7.1 analog outputs. All the powered HDMI splitters or matrix switches I have tried stop sending 5.1 surround sound and only pass stereo 2.0 to ALL ports.

This was not a problem when I only connected my Dell 3008WFP to my Monoprice HD-140E3-3D-V2 1-4 active splitter. But when I add the U2713H, stereo only monitor, the splitter switches from 5.1 to 2.0 and drops the center, subwoofer and rear channels! According to what I have been able to find out from Monoprice is that the splitter does this for all connected devices if any one of them can NOT decode surround sound! The same problem occurs with the Monoprice 4X4 Switcher/Splitter.

Is there another HDMI splitter available that has either a way to force it to pass surround sound to one or more output ports or does NOT inhibit surround sound?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
A 1x2 Distribution Amp (Splitter) with on-board EDID management will stop the Source seeing the 2.0 EDID ad will allow you to Output HD video + 5.1 audio.

See - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20distribution%20amp_splitter%202%20port.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 3 Old 01-27-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wood View Post

I need to feed two different Dell Ultrasharp monitors with a common HDMI signal source. An older 3008WFP, that has a built-in 5.1 surround sound decoder, and a new U2713H, that only has a stereo 2.0 decoder. I also feed the full HDMI signal to my Oppo BDP-105 to decode the surround sound to high quality 7.1 analog outputs. All the powered HDMI splitters or matrix switches I have tried stop sending 5.1 surround sound and only pass stereo 2.0 to ALL ports.

This was not a problem when I only connected my Dell 3008WFP to my Monoprice HD-140E3-3D-V2 1-4 active splitter. But when I add the U2713H, stereo only monitor, the splitter switches from 5.1 to 2.0 and drops the center, subwoofer and rear channels! According to what I have been able to find out from Monoprice is that the splitter does this for all connected devices if any one of them can NOT decode surround sound! The same problem occurs with the Monoprice 4X4 Switcher/Splitter.

Is there another HDMI splitter available that has either a way to force it to pass surround sound to one or more output ports or does NOT inhibit surround sound?

Bill

Bill, check the archives here for "lowest common denominator". It's designed that way so no sink (your TVs) gets a signal it can't decode.

As Joe said, you need to modify the EDID and there are switches from companies, including Joe's Octava line, that can do this. However, you should be aware that by doing this your stereo-only monitor will get no audio and may display a "signal not compatible" message temporarily.

If you are wondering why HDMI is like this, it is because there can only be one audio and one video stream at any time over HDMI. So you can't send stereo and multichannel at the same time. One or the other...
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page