Best online place to buy HDMI 10 ft cable that handles 4K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Getting ready to buy a new Receiver and soon a 4K set and need HDMI cable to send signal to receiver and upconverted signal out to 4K set

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
An HDMI certified High Speed cable will reportedly carry everything that is part of the HDMI 2.0 spec. There are many HDMI certified High Speed cables out there.

Remember there are only two types of HDMI cables. This might be useful (our standard answer #1):

There are only two types of HDMI cables. They are High Speed (also known as Category 2) cables and Standard Speed (also known as Category 1) cables. Each type has a few options. These two types of cables were defined by the HDMI Org to simplify cable selection for a consumer. Both types of cables have the same pinouts.

High Speed HDMI cables are capable of handling any HDMI signal currently used or planned. Standard Speed HDMI cables are guaranteed to be able to send 1080i and 720p images. Standard Speed cables may be able to handle high bandwidth signals such as 1080p/60, 1080p/24 2D or 1080p/24 3D, but it is not guaranteed. High Speed cables have passed tests to show that they can handle 1080p/60, 4K, etc.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

The cable does not "know" what it is sending. It is a dumb cable. If only takes bits from one end of the cable to the other. The only thing you have to make sure is that the cable has enough bandwidth to send the signals you want without bit errors. Bit errors will show up as obvious screen defects such as lines, sparkles or screens that change to a solid color or even no picture at all. Bit errors do not cause loss of resolution or loss of contrast, color or anything else that is usually considered "picture quality".

So, for 1080p/24 3D or 1080p/60 2D you would want a High Speed HDMI cable and try to use ones that either provide the certificate online or have great user reviews, such as Monoprice or Blue Jean Cables or some of the others you'll find in this forum's archives. One warning is that some companies claim to have high speed cables that are not. Make sure you check reviews or see their certification. Sometimes they certify a shorter cable for high speed and then claim that longer cables are also covered. The longer cables are not. The maximum length for a certified passive High Speed cable is just over 25 feet. Look at a Redmere technology active cable or converting to Cat 6 for longer runs requiring a high speed HDMI cable.

The HDMI Org has stated that passive High Speed HDMI cables will work with HDMI 2.0 equipment. Monoprice's website shows Redmere cables that are reportedly compatible with HDMI 2.0. However, there is no way for a consumer to test compatibility at this time since HDMI 2.0 devices are not yet available.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
^^^^ dare I? biggrin.gif
post #4 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
There is a nice FAQ from HDMI.org on HDMI 2.0 specifications as well and how that applies to current high speed cables:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#144
Quote:
Can existing HDMI cables support the higher bandwidths of HDMI 2.0 Specification?
Yes, existing High Speed HDMI Cables (wire only) will support the new higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps).

HDMI 2.0 specification defined a new, more efficient signaling method, for speeds above 1.4b limits (10.2Gbps), to allow higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps) over existing High Speed HDMI Wire Cables.

So any certified high speed HDMI cable should have no problems at all.

Monoprice, Blue Jeans Cable, Best Buy, HH Gregg... Pick your store and buy a high speed cable and you should be good to go.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 AM

Liked: 87
I'm sure you meant certified High Speed cable, since there are some cables that are listed as High Speed but aren't (such as 35' passive cables).

In case you missed it,

"...try to use ones that either provide the certificate online or have great user reviews, such as Monoprice or Blue Jean Cables or some of the others you'll find in this forum's archives. One warning is that some companies claim to have high speed cables that are not. Make sure you check reviews or see their certification. Sometimes they certify a shorter cable for high speed and then claim that longer cables are also covered. The longer cables are not. The maximum length for a certified passive High Speed cable is just over 25 feet. Look at a Redmere technology active cable or converting to Cat 6 for longer runs requiring a high speed HDMI cable."
post #6 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thanks to all

Matt
post #7 of 25 Old 02-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Liked: 11
In terms of high speed cables (because these are going to support 2.0 soon) I would recommend Prolink (prolinkcables. com/en/ - you can check the Futura series smile.gif ) very reasonable. Do not overpay for HDMI cables!
post #8 of 25 Old 02-11-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTrout View Post

In terms of high speed cables (because these are going to support 2.0 soon) I would recommend Prolink (prolinkcables. com/en/ - you can check the Futura series smile.gif ) very reasonable. Do not overpay for HDMI cables!

Any certified high speed HDMI cable by any reputable mfr can already support the HDMI 2.0 hardware specs. Monoprice, Blue Jeans, Media Bridge are a few that come to mind. The problem is right now, finding a device that can take full advantage of sending data at the 2.0 spec.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 PM

True that.
(I just recommanded those prolink because I own them and I'm satisfied;) )

But I believe we won't have to wait long for devices using the whole new spectrum of 2.0. standard, things might go seriously quickly.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't hold my breath. If you are planning on getting a new tv with HDMI 2.0 capability, that will certainly be a bonus. But I don't know how many people are willing to replace their blu-ray players, receivers, etc just because they can buy a new one with HDMI 2.0.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-12-2014, 02:01 PM

I believe people are changing their blue-ray players, receivers on a daily basis, so I guess they will just gradually buy those with HDMI 2.0. No big bang in buying things.

Well, about those cables, my twitter showed me that these will be available since March. twitter.com /connectionlabUK

And again, sorry for opening another topic (which is closed anyway) - for some reason I didn't find this one:)
post #12 of 25 Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hay what does the 2.0 spec for HDMI equipment do thats not done with 1.4, just what is the upgrade?
post #13 of 25 Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM

Basically, let me quote:

4K@50/60, (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution
Up to 32 audio channels for a multi-dimensional immersive audio experience
Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelity
Simultaneous delivery of dual video streams to multiple users on the same screen
Simultaneous delivery of multi-stream audio to multiple users (up to 4)
Support for the wide angle theatrical 21:9 video aspect ratio
Dynamic synchronization of video and audio streams
CEC extensions provides expanded command and control of consumer electronics devices through a single control point

(source: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/)
Phil17108 likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old 02-14-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
'So any certified high speed HDMI cable should have no problems at all' - I think Andy is pointing out that any 'Passive' High Speed cable will be fine, but seeing as you don't get 10m High Speed Passive HDMI cables the OP is stuffed smile.gif

Conduit is good for HDMI 2.0 and above!

Joe

PS What's a '4K' Display (and what's the *3840x2160p in very small writing on the Sony 4K TV demo footage all about biggrin.gif)

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #15 of 25 Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The current HDMI 1.4 hardware specs are already capable of handling 4k (3840 x 2160 at 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz and 4096 x 2160 at 24Hz) as well as current certified High Speed HDMI cables. HDMI 2.0 as shown above does have some improvement over that (really, who has an audio system in their home that can handle 32 channels) but I think the noticeable improvements are still a year or so away before they commercially adopted and "standardized".

4K is still a bit of a misnomer. I suppose 3840 x 2160 is technically UHD and 4K is only 4096 x 2160 but most consumers see 4K in the market-speak and get all tingly rolleyes.gif because 4K is not clearly defined as far as I know.

Conduit conduit conduit! Let's all pick up the mantra and chant wink.gif The only real fool-proof system.
post #16 of 25 Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

...but seeing as you don't get 10m High Speed Passive HDMI cables the OP is stuffed smile.gif

Conduit is good for HDMI 2.0 and above!
By the title, it looks like the OP is looking for a 10 foot cable, not a 10m cable, so he has a ton of choices out there.

Agree completely on conduit. Whenever possible, running conduit of 1" or larger is always preferred.

Any idea if HDMI 2.0 will allow for simultaneous delivery of surround and stereo finally? It's hands down one of the top features I would love to see. Multi-zone A/V receivers that don't need DSP to get audio to zones 2 and beyond and audio extractors that don't force down-conversion of audio. Man, that would be awesome.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Liked: 13
Hey, I think you can buy HDMI in so many places wink.gif But I'd say just don't overpay. JohnTrout - I have Prolink cables too smile.gif 5 meters. Works just fine.
But I don't know how revolutionary 2.0 is. Honestly, I don't know...
post #18 of 25 Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ I found it interesting that the Prolink site still lists HDMI 1.4 in the cable information.
post #19 of 25 Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^ I found it interesting that the Prolink site still lists HDMI 1.4 in the cable information.
I certainly would advertise my cables as HDMI 1.4 compliant somewhere in any marketing I would do. Wouldn't you? I mean, people just don't understand anything (in general) when talking about HDMI, so if you buy something that says that the output uses HDMI 1.4, then you want a cable which supports HDMI 1.4.

Sure, you and I know that any high speed cable should do just fine, but do your parents know that? How about your coworkers and all your friends? We are A/V geeky here, and the bottom line remains that for the casual consumer, still buying Bose, Beats, and Monster, the inclusion of such simple words as "HDMI 1.1, 1.3, and 1.4 compatible" will sell more cables than just putting "High Speed Certified" on the packaging.

Actually, I guess you put both on there and call it a day. biggrin.gif

post #20 of 25 Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ I agree, but I thought that HDMI.org had stopped mfrs from labeling their cables with the hardware version number to prevent confusion (god knows there's enough of that already) and just wanted the cables labeled as Standard/High Speed, active or passive. Maybe I read the label wrong but 1.3 and 1.4 were clearly on the packaging which would lead the un-initiated to think they were HDMI 1.4 cables. I could see labeling the cables as High Speed HDMI* and then explaining the "*" that the cable meets HDMI hardware spec 1.4 (or what ever). But yes, we are geeky and sometimes I forget that not everyone out there is as anal about this stuff as we are tongue.gif
post #21 of 25 Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
'so if you buy something that says that the output uses HDMI 1.4,' - which also violates the HDMI.org Rule book and as you both say simply adds to the confusion.

http://www.hdmi.org/pdf/atlug_faqs/2011_12_20_ATLUG_Q09_UPDATE.PDF

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #22 of 25 Old 02-21-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe, I will say that IMO, HDMI.org blew it.

The HDMI 1.4a specification and now the 2.0 specification is out there. Just like the iPad 3 (not wait, the 'NEW iPad') was a huge screw up, the use of version numbers by HDMI.org to properly identify their product and then release all those specifications to people, then try to deny manufacturers from specifically listing that compliance is flat out D. U. M. B. Some idiot on the board got a bug up their tush about it all and then made a boneheaded decision.

People ARE confused. But they aren't confused by the version numbers, they are confused about what 'high speed' means since it is completely unclear what high speed means. What is it that high speed supports? Ethernet? ARC? 4K? Everything? Nothing? Instead of building proper standards that everyone must follow, HDMI puts out products (like HDMI CEC) which may or may not be followed as manufacturers do or do not want to follow. Some things manufacturers must use and follow, but not always. Heck, there are HDMI connections which aren't even HDCP compliant. WTF is that?

No, as a consumer, I want to know that the cable I buy for my brand new HDMI 2.0 capable receiver will support all the features which HDMI 2.0 offers. Not a shopping cart list I must carefully check every time I try to buy a cable. Poor marketing decision on their part, and I am guessing that HDMI.org has not once followed up with any manufacturer which has detailed version numbers on the products they have sold.

Wasn't there also a jump in max data rate from 10.2Gbs to 18Gbs (or similar) with the jump to HDMI 2.0, yet the 'old' high speed cables are still guaranteed to work with the higher throughput?

It is quite clear that a fair number of manufacturers don't agree and don't follow through with not mentioning HDMI version with their products. For good reason it seems.

post #23 of 25 Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 AM

Liked: 13
Uhm, uhm, I'm trying to get you wink.gif I'm not as geeky as you here. I wasn't sure wether I should be excited in any way by HDMI 2.0 but not I suppose I should not at all?
post #24 of 25 Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

HDMI 2.0 will be beneficial once there are devices (blu-ray players, STB's, etc) that have the chipset able to transfer data at the HDMI 2.0 hardware protocols. Even then, current certified high speed HDMI cable will work just fine. There are not supposed to be any HDMI cables that are specifically labeled as "HDMI 1.4" or "HDMI 2.0". If your new tv is marketed as HDMI 2.0 capable, that's ok. You're just a little ahead of the game.
post #25 of 25 Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 AM

Liked: 10

Hey mattg3,

I have 1st hand experience in testing hundreds of HDMI cables for 4K as we manufacture our own HDMI cables. At 10 FT length pretty much any cable that you find on amazon for around $10 claiming to do 4K signal will be OK to use...  it gets tricky when you go over 15 FT of length.

Cables being so cheap these days tat upgrading them later wont be a big issue, if you are not installing it in wall , just get a HDMI 1.4 you should be fine..

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page