Could HDMI 'hot swapping' have caused this issue??? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having Blu-Ray playback issues, as it relates to dialogue volume, etc. Several variables involved here and trying to figure out what exactly is the culprit:

1. My brand new PS3 superslim was playing Blu-Rays just fine in relation to audio and dialogue with my 4-year-old Samsung 46" 6 series LCD TV (don't have a receiver...just listening on my TV speakers), but then I decided to switch to a bigger PS3 500GB version after the first PS3 started skipping sections of Blu-Rays. So, I am now on my 2nd PS3 Superslim (with the audio issues).

2. THEN, the Cox cable guy came over for a cable issue and decided it was apparently fine to "hot swap" and plug/un-plug different HDMI cables, while both the cable and the TV were still ON, including testing the PS3's HDMI cable for my Cox cable.

3. ALSO had to perform a recent software upgrade on the Samsung, as I got a "USB Overload" pop-up message onscreen, which is now gone after the upgrade.

I don't see any color changes, flashes, or immediately noticeable picture quality HDMI handshake issues, but on the last few Blu-Rays I have been playing, this is my audio issue:

*The dialogue and overall sound of Blu-Ray movies are now incredibly soft and even turning the volume up a lot on the tv doesn't always resolve this or make dialogue understandable (was not an issue at all on the 1st PS3 superslim a couple weeks back. I even re-rented 'Captain Phillips'- the dialogue was fine before on the 1st PS3, but incredibly soft now. Special effects sounds blow my ears off when the sound is jacked way way up, to try to hear the dialogue)

My questions are these:

1. Could 'hot swapping' the HDMI cables possibly have caused these audio volume issues to surface?
2. Is the sudden decrease in audio the probable result of a problem with my brand new PS3 instead? Is it perhaps not correctly outputting 2-channel sound? (PS3 settings say it's on 2-channel PCM)
3. Could this be the result of a bad cable? I'm using the same HDMI cable as I did on my first PS3, which played just fine.
4. Could the Samsung software upgrade have done anything to cause this issue?

I have tested the PS3 on all HDMI ports and have the same Blu-Ray volume issue on all. Games don't seem as affected as movies. I went through on both my TV and PS3 and made sure the settings were ALL the same as before all the various changes, and they are. HDMI on the PS3 is 'automatic' set to 2-channel audio. PCM is selected as well, not Bitstream. Again, I am not using a receiver/external speakers.

On the Samsung TV, there's an option called "Auto Volume", which I've always had disabled. Turning it on now seems to increase the dialogue volume, while keeping effects at a reasonable sound level, but it sounds a little overmodulated, in terms of bass....a little distorted. I never had to use this option before, but I may have to now.

Sorry for all the long-winded info. I know my set-up is not ideal (no receiver) but I've never had the issues I am having now.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anything is possible, there are some different handshaking protocols going on on the HDMI ports, depending on the mfgr. Often times a reset (power off- - power on) of the TV will reset the HDMI ports properly. Cycling my TV drops the widescreen monitor from the PC, connected to the TV by HDMI. Even stranger things have happened.
DVD Freaky likes this.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 79
How about trying the PS3 on a different TV and confirm if you do/don’t get the same audio issues.

Joe
DVD Freaky likes this.

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

How about trying the PS3 on a different TV and confirm if you do/don’t get the same audio issues.

Joe

I DID try the PS3 on a 22" Samsung I have lying around and experienced the same audio issues. Basically, I have found (by pushing SELECT button on PS3 controller during BD's) that the PS3 is sending 5.1 sound to my tv's 2 speakers, not 2-channel (as I selected in the PS3 setup menu). It's basically forcing 5.1 sound that I did not select in setup menu, which makes the dialogue sound super faint.

I have gone ahead and exchanged for a new PS3 today and will test later tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement