HDMI Switcher or Extractor (for Roku 3) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am looking to hook up a Roku 3.  I have a Panasonic HDTV and Panasonic HTIB receiver -- both from 2007.  The Roku only has HDMI output, and my receiver only has Optical Audio input.

My plan is to plug the Roku 3 into an HDMI Switcher/Extractor, and then send HDMI to my TV (for video) and Optical Audio to my receiver (for audio).  Any recommendations among the below?  

Monoprice sells a 4x1 Switcher (item 5557) that accomplishes what I need.  I don't have any need for the other 3 inputs, but I figured it can't hurt to have extra capacity.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

Any reason I should get this instead?

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00BIQER0E

Or this from Monoprice (item 10251)?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE!

-JASON

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How many HDMI inputs does your TV have? How many HDMI inputs are currently not being used on the TV?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

How many HDMI inputs does your TV have? How many HDMI inputs are currently not being used on the TV?

Good questions. I have an open HDMI input on the back of my TV (maybe even two), but part of my problem is that my TV is mounted on the wall and I don't want to deal with moving it to get access to the HDMI inputs on the back.

I am getting rid of cable tv, so my plan is to use the HDMI cable that is currently going from my cable box to the TV and use the Optical Audio cable that is going from the cable box to my receiver.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does the TV happen to have an optical out for sound that you can easily access? If so I would just run the optical cable from that to the receiver. If not it would appear that any of the devices you listed would work for you. I do not have any experience with any of them.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The trick with extracting Optical audio from an HDMI signal is to ensure you have the ability to set the Source to HD Video + 5.1 – which will often mean overriding the TV EDID if the TV is a stereo only device.

Using the Optical Out on a Stereo only TV will not deliver 5.1 and many ‘vintage’  TV’s will be stereo only on the HDMI Input.

Our HDMI to Optical extractor takes a belts and braces approach and provides a USB port for simple EDID updates if you find your Source won’t play ball with our standard EDID modes.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI-Audio-Converter-EDID-Manager.html

Joe

PS Keep in mind once you set the Source to HD Video + 5.1 you likely won’t be able to use the TV speakers and will always have to use your HITB and set your TV speakers to Zero!
HDMI Guy likes this.

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

Does the TV happen to have an optical out for sound that you can easily access? If so I would just run the optical cable from that to the receiver. If not it would appear that any of the devices you listed would work for you. I do not have any experience with any of them.

I believe the TV does have optical out....but unfortunately I don't have easy access to the back of the TV.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

The trick with extracting Optical audio from an HDMI signal is to ensure you have the ability to set the Source to HD Video + 5.1 – which will often mean overriding the TV EDID if the TV is a stereo only device.

Using the Optical Out on a Stereo only TV will not deliver 5.1 and many ‘vintage’  TV’s will be stereo only on the HDMI Input.

Our HDMI to Optical extractor takes a belts and braces approach and provides a USB port for simple EDID updates if you find your Source won’t play ball with our standard EDID modes.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI-Audio-Converter-EDID-Manager.html

Joe

PS Keep in mind once you set the Source to HD Video + 5.1 you likely won’t be able to use the TV speakers and will always have to use your HITB and set your TV speakers to Zero!

Thank you for the recommendation.  If the Roku is plugged into your extractor, why does the TV have any affect on it?  Wouldn't the audio be extracted first?  Maybe I am thinking of it incorrectly, but the way I envision this working is that the Roku sends a signal via HDMI that goes into the extractor, and then the extractor sends the audio portion of that signal to my receiver via optical audio -- and it also sends information via HDMI to my TV.  But it seems as though you are saying the audio data that travels via optical audio would somehow be dependent on what is connected to the HDMI output on the extractor?

Regarding the PS, this is how I have it set up -- I do not use my TV speakers, all audio comes out of the HTIB speakers.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hi Jason

Ordinarily the TV is in charge of what happens – the TV dictates what type of video and audio the Source should Output, which makes sense as otherwise your Source could output a signal (video and or audio) the TV can’t support.

The box in the middle can either let the TV continue to dictate what the Source Outputs (not ideal when you want to deliver 5.1 audio to your Amp) or inserts its own instructions to the Source to allow you to set the Source to a signal format the TV won’t support (in your scenario HD video + 5.1 audio).

Our Optical audio extractor can function with or without a Display connected to the Output side of the Extractor.

HDMI devices all know each other are on the connected wire – that’s the nature of the beast and its underlying EDID (capabilities) and HDCP (content protection) signalling.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

Hi Jason

Ordinarily the TV is in charge of what happens – the TV dictates what type of video and audio the Source should Output, which makes sense as otherwise your Source could output a signal (video and or audio) the TV can’t support.

The box in the middle can either let the TV continue to dictate what the Source Outputs (not ideal when you want to deliver 5.1 audio to your Amp) or inserts its own instructions to the Source to allow you to set the Source to a signal format the TV won’t support (in your scenario HD video + 5.1 audio).

Our Optical audio extractor can function with or without a Display connected to the Output side of the Extractor.

HDMI devices all know each other are on the connected wire – that’s the nature of the beast and its underlying EDID (capabilities) and HDCP (content protection) signalling.

Joe

Thanks, Joe.  Now I understand.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page