AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/)
-   -   Handshake Problem (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/1529331-handshake-problem.html)

deathmoo0 04-28-2014 02:01 AM

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-822-K and have all my devices hooked up to it via HDMI but sometimes I get a weird handshake problem, where all I see is a blinking "hdmi" on the front of the receivers display.

I have only a Comcast HD/DVR and playstation 4 hooked up to the receiver via HDMI and then one HMDI cable from the back of the receiver to the TV (Samsung HDTV).

I was reading that sometimes with the HD/DVR cable boxes you can get 'handshake problems' and the best way to ensure no problems is to connect a optical cable from the cable box to the receiver and then have a HDMI cable from the cable box to the HDTV. I'm not sure though...

I was wondering if you guys can assist me in this problem and help troubleshoot this issue?

Much appreciated and this forum is very informative!

Best wishes!

Phil17108 04-28-2014 07:46 AM

Your problem may be what comes on first. The optical cable only cares audio and no video, so thats a no go. Sometimes it takes a reading and a re-reading of the manuals one after the other to find the problem.

deathmoo0 04-28-2014 01:40 PM

Thank you for the reply. I figured if I just leave the receiver on then I don't have the 'handshake' problem. It usually occurs when I turn everything off, like the receiver, TV, and cable box. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Do you think the receiver is faulty? 

Many thanks :) 

Joe Fernand 04-28-2014 02:03 PM

Ensure all devices are running the latest firmware the manufacturer has available.

Are you powering devices Off (at the power socket) or In/Out of Standby.

The TV is the device which initiates the background -try cycling the TV Input if the AVR gets in a knot.

As Phil17018 says the order you take kit out of Standby can be important - try TV first then AVR and Source last of all.

Joe

deathmoo0 04-29-2014 11:15 PM

Thank you Joe for the reply.

I checked all my connections and the issue only occurs when powering off all devices. When this occurs I unplug everything from the power-socket and then plug everything back and when I turn on the TV, cable box and receiver it suddenly works. I connected the optical cable to the HD/DVR cable box and now have a HDMI directly connected to the TV. Today I had my PS4 turned on all day and when I switched inputs...it would respond again. So I unplugged everything and plugged it back again and then BOOM! It got a signal. This is super weird, I really don't want to buy another optical cable for the PS4 and have the HDMI directly connected to the TV again. I still have a 30 day return policy on my receiver and I am thinking about returning it? Any ideas.

Thanks again for your help!

Sean

Joe Fernand 04-30-2014 08:34 AM

PS4 - ideally you want to stick with HDMI for Video and Audio, using Optical for Audio limits you to the lossy DD/DTS when your content has lossless HD Audio.

AVR - difficult to point you towards a fix if there is a basic incompatibility with your Source or Display kit, a quick Google shows you are not alone with this AVR.

Something to try is disable HDMI Control on all devices then power cycle the system.

Switching to a different brand AVR may be your best solution.

Joe