2 Displays, 1 HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

This is my first post and before I get to my question, I just want to thank everyone here. This forum has been a invaluable resource for me while setting up my mini home theater and I appreciate the time everyone takes to answer folk's questions.

I have a question about HDMI splitting or switching. I'm running an HDMI cable out of the Radeon 5850 on my PC to a Denon AVR-E300. The 5850 also has 2 DVI outputs. The AVR-E300 has 1 HDMI out and right now I'm sending that to my 1900x1200 24" monitor. My plan is to add a projector as I don't have room for a TV. The projetor screen will pull down where my computer monitor is so I don't really need to run both at the same time, so I was thinking it might be nice to have some sort of HDMI switch coming out of the AVR-E300 that lets me select sending the signal to the monitor or the projector. I could run the monitor from one of the DVI outputs of the video card and then the projector from the HDMI out, but I do like having monitor pass through the E300 for the E300's on screen options, though it's not completely necessary. 

I've been doing some research about HDMI splitters and switches and the more I read the more confused I get. I'm usually a person who just tries stuff and doesn't really ask questions first, but I thought this time I might ask and see if people with way more experience than I have might have an opinion on the best way to do this.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-28-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You would add an HDMI Distribution Amp (Splitter) to the Output of the AVR - HDMI is different to other connectivity schemes in that it's copy protection (HDCP) requires all devices to be 'aware' of each other.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20distribution%20amp_splitter%202%20port.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 3 Old 04-28-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey Joe thanks for the reply. This is what I was looking for, but for some reason all was finding was the multi-in and 1-out units. Thanks!

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page