post #1 of 6 Old 05-03-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My setup:

Sony KDL-40CX520 television

Sony BDV-E2100 home theatre

Raspberry Pi (used as media center for playing back movies)

I have the home theatre plugged into the TV via HDMI. I'm using HDMI ARC and have HDMI Control and ARC options turned on in the TV and the home theatre.  Everything works fine, sound from the TV comes out the home theatre's speakers and when turning on the TV I get a message saying "Checking external speaker connection" followed by "Audio system active".

If I plug the Raspberry Pi into the TV via HDMI, but leave the Raspberry Pi turned off, then the TV complains with an "Audio system failure" message and reverts to using the TV's built-in speakers.

If I turn the Raspberry Pi on then the TV switches sound output to the home theatre, both for the Raspberry Pi audio and the TV's audio.

If I have the Raspberry Pi's HDMI cable unplugged (either at the Pi's end or the TV's end) then the TV switches sound output to the home theatre for outputting its audio.

Obviously I'd like to leave everything plugged in but the Raspberry Pi turned off when it's not in use, but at the moment I can't do that without the TV complaining about an audio system failure and reverting to using its built-in speakers.

Does anyone know what's going on here?  It's as if the TV is seeing that the Raspberry Pi's HDMI cable is plugged in but because it doesn't get a reply from the Pi it's failing the audio.  Can devices sense that an HDMI cable is plugged in or not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Sounds like an ARC/CEC incompatibility.. CEC is a pain because there are no standards with HDMI 1.4 as to how it is to be implemented for HDMI control. Try disabling ARC/CEC and see what happens.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Trouble is I really want to use the ARC feature to get sound from my TV to my home theatre, so disabling it isn't something I really want to do.

I did try disabling ARC and using a toslink cable, but I couldn't get any sound at all with that setup.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Devices do communicate no matter if they are in Standby or not.

A potential fix is a dongle which disables the CEC pin or a bit of surgery on your HDMI cable and again disable the CEC line between the Pi and the TV - that should allow you to keep CEC and ARC enabled and the Pi in Standby or On.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #5 of 6 Old 05-04-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

Devices do communicate no matter if they are in Standby or not.

A potential fix is a dongle which disables the CEC pin or a bit of surgery on your HDMI cable and again disable the CEC line between the Pi and the TV - that should allow you to keep CEC and ARC enabled and the Pi in Standby or On.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I'll have a look and see if I can find a suitable dongle that'll do the trick.

The Raspberry Pi is totally powered off when this happens, it does't have a standby mode, but obviously it's still able to interfere.  Maybe plugging it in connects two pins and that's causing the problem.

post #6 of 6 Old 05-09-2014, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Just as a follow up in case someone else has the same problem that I do, I discovered that this is a known problem with the Raspberry Pi.  If the Pi is plugged in but not turned on then it interferes with the CEC signals and causes problems for the other devices that are connected via HDMI.

See http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14273 for lots of details.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page