HDMI Signal Problems With Wall Plate connectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2014, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi,

I recently mounted my Optima HD20 projector to the ceiling. I've run some cables, and am having some strange display problems. Here is the setup:

Source (Verizon FIOS / PS3) -> Amazon HDMI cable -> (Wall Connector) -> HDMI Wall Plate -> Mediabridge UltraSeries 25 ft. HDMI -> Optoma Projector

Mediabridge Ultraseries:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031TRZX2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the Wall Connector, I tested two products:

HDMI Steren Wall Plate:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E2Z060/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Leviton QuickPort HDMI Connector:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZAO9PC/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried a few tests:

1) When the Verizion FIOS is the source, the original description of cabling above works fine. I tested with both connectors listed above
2) When the PS3 is the source, the original description of cabling does not work. The Steren Wall Plate resulted in the projector not detecting any HDMI input. The Leviton resulted in the signal being picked up sometimes. When it would get picked up, it would flash constantly.. If I go direct from the PS3 to the Mediabridge cable, it works fine. In the bad test scenarios, I swapped out multiple Amazon HDMI cables (which I know work with other devices.

This implies that the problem is the connection between the PS3 and the Wall Connector. I would really like to have a nice clean finish with a wall plate. Is it really this typical to have a loss of signal?

I also tested out a 50 foot Monoprice Redmere Hdmi cable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHCQUG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A friend brought it over, and when I tried it, it worked flawlessly with both devices. This was running the cable direct.

Does anyone have any advice? Like I said, I really would like a nice clean finish with wallplates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Not getting any responses in Tech, so I'm moving you to HDMI.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Adding just one unnecessary 'break' in the signal run can kill HDMI.

If the FiOS box is working try setting the PS3 to the same signal format and see if that will now work - I'm assuming Version is 1080i60 and the PS3 is set to 1080p60 or 1080p24.

You can force the PS3 to reboot at a lower resolution by holding down the power 'button' for 2-secs when it is Standby (from memory it has to beep twice).

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 05-12-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
PS I just spotted this Thread has already been duplicated - maybe ask the Mods to bin your other thread to avoid confusion.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo44 View Post

Does anyone have any advice? Like I said, I really would like a nice clean finish with wallplates.
But, you may have to accept that this may not be possible.

I like wall plates as well, and clean connections, but with HDMI over long distances you have to sometimes accept that you can't introduce a signal loss point into the pathway and be guaranteed acceptable results.

The bandwidth of cable TV, as discussed above, is about half of what the PS3 puts out. The cable with the signal loss from the wall plates works fine. But, the PS3 puts out a higher bit rate signal and it is more than the cable handles.

I've run into this personally with about a 40' run and I ended up going to a HDBaseT solution. Pricey, but clean.

At the end of all of this, I think you may find that you just need to use a nice pass-through plate and connect directly from source to destination to have acceptable results.

You MAY want to try a powered cable equalizer behind the TV to see if that fixes things for you as an option to keep the clean plates.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:20 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bringing back old thread as I'm looking for advice on similar topic. Have a new TV wall mounted with recessed power/LV box in wall behind TV. Its ~15ft run down wall, under floor and then back up into cabinet adjacent where componets will be. I had always planned on using 15-20 HDMI cable in the middle connected to wall plates on either end but now wondering if this will result in HDMI signal loss, even using 22 AWG HDMI cable in the middle as wall plate connector and short HDMI cables on ends would seem to be out of spec for high speed? Trying to avoid the using pass-thru chute pate

Rick