Hdmi! Does it matter!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 05-26-2014, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Im wondering if a 9 dollar Pluglug hd 900 hdmi will perform exactly as a 75+ dollar brand cable. They both claim the same specs. All im connecting is a ps4 to a 51 inch 1080 plasma. Under 10 feet. Ive read that higher priced brands produce better pictures and ive also read that it really doesnt matter because its digital. Now I really dont understand when people say its digital so if your getting a picture then you are getting the best its going to be. What about motion, judder, color reproduction, resolution, etc. Can different cables produce different video quality not just picture. Im talking about when the pictures are moving. I want to know that my 9 dollar pluglug hdmi is letting my ps4 and plasma produce the best they can. Let me know what everyone thinks. I need some expert advice because I dont have a clue. Thanks and forgive me if I sound like a dummy haha. This issue has been bothering me for awhile now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 259
No.
post #3 of 52 Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yes the 9 buck cable can work just as good as the 75$ one. I find the expensive ones look better on the floor. There is an internet seller that many here use.
http://www.monoprice.com
plus this one
http://www.bluejeanscable.com

Both have a lot of info one HDMI cables and audio/video cables in general. I found the http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/exoticmaterials.htm very helpful.
post #4 of 52 Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Just purchase a certified high speed hdmi cable from a reputable dealer such as Monoprice, MediaBridge, or Blue Jeans (there are others). Just make sure that the cable is certified for the length of cable your are purchasing and know that, at present, passive hdmi cables are only certified for up to 25'. The cable will either work or it won't. You won't get any better audio/video from the grossly overpriced cables regardless of what their slick marketing says.
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #5 of 52 Old 05-27-2014, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Just purchase a certified high speed hdmi cable from a reputable dealer such as Monoprice, MediaBridge, or Blue Jeans (there are others). Just make sure that the cable is certified for the length of cable your are purchasing and know that, at present, passive hdmi cables are only certified for up to 25'. The cable will either work or it won't. You won't get any better audio/video from the grossly overpriced cables regardless of what their slick marketing says.
What brand do you use? If you dont mind me asking?
post #6 of 52 Old 05-27-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300 View Post

I use Monoprice & Bluejeans. They are brands. Read the information on the web sites. After that you can give the answers.
post #7 of 52 Old 05-27-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I originally used MediaBridge but switched to Redmere only because I liked the thinness of the cable and the zero stress on the HDMI input. Probably an overkill but they are easily accessible should I ever need to change them due to a chip failure (which hasn't happened in almost a year of use). My cable runs are only 10' in length.
post #8 of 52 Old 05-27-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I originally used MediaBridge but switched to Redmere only because I liked the thinness of the cable and the zero stress on the HDMI input. Probably an overkill but they are easily accessible should I ever need to change them due to a chip failure (which hasn't happened in almost a year of use). My cable runs are only 10' in length.
I have a mediabridge ultra . Really well made hdmi.
post #9 of 52 Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a monster isf 750 hd for 12 bucks on amazon. It has since went up to 60 dollars. So i decided to use it . But between the mediabridge, pluglug , and monster hdmi I honestly cannot see any diffeence it video quality. So Im a firm believer in more expensive does not produce a better PQ. I will say that I do get far less drop outs with the monster cable. Maybe a better fit/connection
post #10 of 52 Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

$12 for a new Monster cable is not bad (unless it was a 3' cable eek.gif) but I would never use anything made by Monster if I had a choice. They may make a good product but the way they rip off consumers with their slick marketing and claims makes me not want to support them in any fashion.
AV_Integrated likes this.
post #11 of 52 Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

I bought a monster isf 750 hd for 12 bucks on amazon. It has since went up to 60 dollars. So i decided to use it . But between the mediabridge, pluglug , and monster hdmi I honestly cannot see any diffeence it video quality. So Im a firm believer in more expensive does not produce a better PQ. I will say that I do get far less drop outs with the monster cable. Maybe a better fit/connection
I use $5 cables and Monoprice HDBT extenders and I have zero dropouts on my system. Zero.

You should never have video dropouts with good equipment. Not expensive equipment, just good equipment.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #12 of 52 Old 05-28-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I use $5 cables and Monoprice HDBT extenders and I have zero dropouts on my system. Zero.

You should never have video dropouts with good equipment. Not expensive equipment, just good equipment.
Its just a ps4 connected to a samsung pn51f5300 plasma
post #13 of 52 Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd hold out until the price reaches $61.50 then sell that puppy for an over 500% profit! tongue.gif
post #14 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Im currently using Monster ISF brand. 14.3 gbps, percise conductor wiring, etc. Works great! Even if it doesnt produce a better picture than a cheaper certified hdmi the quality of the cable is outstanding! Thick quality cord. Metal connectors. V grip plug. And i bought it on amazon while on sale for 12 dollars compared to the same one on Monster website which retails for 75 dollars. Great deal. I actually bought 2 . So I have back up. Awesome cable!
post #15 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
'I have been buying all cables and accessories from SF Cable, Inc' - really!!!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #16 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300 View Post
Im currently using Monster ISF brand. 14.3 gbps, percise conductor wiring, etc. Works great! Even if it doesnt produce a better picture than a cheaper certified hdmi the quality of the cable is outstanding! Thick quality cord. Metal connectors. V grip plug. And i bought it on amazon while on sale for 12 dollars compared to the same one on Monster website which retails for 75 dollars. Great deal. I actually bought 2 . So I have back up. Awesome cable!
$75 retail on sale for $12? If it really is a Monster brand then it's either on sale (still a bit overpriced) because they can't find any suckers to spend $75 on it or it's actually a cheap knock-off. All cosmetic to give the consumer the feeling that they've purchased a high quality cable that will actually make an audio/video difference. $12 is not bad for a fluffed-up HDMI cable depending on the length though. Did you get a certificate of compliance?
post #17 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
$75 retail on sale for $12? If it really is a Monster brand then it's either on sale (still a bit overpriced) because they can't find any suckers to spend $75 on it or it's actually a cheap knock-off. All cosmetic to give the consumer the feeling that they've purchased a high quality cable that will actually make an audio/video difference. $12 is not bad for a fluffed-up HDMI cable depending on the length though. Did you get a certificate of compliance?
Yes its Monster. It came in a retail monster box with a paper inside stating isf and hdmi certified. I scanned the barcode on the box with code scanner from my smartphone and it directs me to monster website . Its legit. The price has since went up to $60 dollars. Its a 9 ft cable. $12 dollars and comes with cable for life guarantee. Even though I bought a spare just because haha.
post #18 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Then you got a good deal on a grossly overpriced cable. However, caveat emptor.
post #19 of 52 Old 07-10-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Then you got a good deal on a grossly overpriced cable. However, caveat emptor.
I like it.
post #20 of 52 Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I'm a loser for spending $150 on a chocolate audioquest HDMI cable? Sucks for me.
post #21 of 52 Old 07-19-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuadros86 View Post
So I'm a loser for spending $150 on a chocolate audioquest HDMI cable? Sucks for me.
If it works, I wouldn't sweat it.

But you might want to reflect on the fact that every mastering company I'm aware of in LA is just using standard $1-per-foot Belden CAT5 or CAT6 cable, along with 5000-series speaker cable (for analogue signals). Nobody's using fancy cables beyond stuff that's plenum-rated, reasonably flexible, and reliable. The last thing we want is for any cables to change signals during mastering, and that goes for sound or picture.

The pictures you see in theaters and on Blu-rays have gone through hundreds and hundreds of feet of cheap cable like this, and they look good because the engineers do their jobs and everything gets checked. The cables neither add to or subtract from the signal, and any cable length over a certain footage generally goes through a re-clocking DA. No bits get lost, nothing gets changed, everything stays the same. That goes for 4K, 2K, HD, 3D, everything.
post #22 of 52 Old 07-19-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

'So I'm a loser for spending $150 on a chocolate audioquest HDMI cable?' - potentially you have 'lost' a few more dollars than you really need to to achieve connectivity via HDMI!

Joe

post #23 of 52 Old 07-19-2014, 10:27 AM

I was told for sound, silver is a better conductor which audioquest has its different levels with diamond being the priciest. No way I'd spend that much!
post #24 of 52 Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

That's all marketing plain and simple. Sure, if you spec cables like that you may see a theoretical signal improvement but will you hear it? No. Certified high speed HDMI cables from a reputable mfr like Monoprice, MediaBridge, etc will give you all the audio/video quality you will ever need. For runs longer than 25', you can use an active cable like Redmere or, if they are to be installed in-wall, CAT-6 + HDBT. Companies like Monster and Audioquest make tons of money on their cables with slick marketing and fancy specs. The specs are probably accurate but in real world settings, i.e. your viewing/listening environment, they are pretty much useless.
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #25 of 52 Old 07-19-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

'I was told for sound, silver is a better conductor' - HDMI carries encrypted video and audio so even if silver conductors could make a difference its impossible with HDMI unless the cable could somehow ‘unscramble’ the highly encrypted signal, make some changes then encrypt, which it can’t!

If you can take it back for a refund do so and go for a lower cost High Speed certified cable and spend the cash saved on some tunes or a movie or two.

Joe

post #26 of 52 Old 07-19-2014, 08:41 PM

Just returned it! Grabbed a couple Monoprice Redmere 18gbs cables for 1/5 of the price lol. Thanks for all the input and feedback, those salesman at BB are crooks lol.
Joe Fernand likes this.
post #27 of 52 Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe not so much crooks as they are totally clueless Wonder what happens to them if they never sell Monster, AudioQuest, or any other ridiculously priced cable.
post #28 of 52 Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Gold connectors help a little, there's a reason why NASA uses them. And digital is not analogue. Analogue you have to have good cables because of the bandwidth it needs to sound clear. HDMI is pure digital so its just the transfer of data,1's and 0's through the cable to be decrypted in the player. The only real issue is length. Just like any other electrical device, the longer the cables the more problems you'll have with signal strength.
post #29 of 52 Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Not all Monster cables are overpriced. I got 2 really good 9 feet cables for 12 dollars each. Regular price was 75. Amazon has some good deals. The cables come with cable for life guarantee which they will upgrade my cable if my equipment is too powerful, and also lifetime warranty which will replace the cable if it stops working. Has all the bells and whistles. Gold plated, v grip connection, in wall certified, precise wiring , great shielding, metal connector plug casing. Feels very well built and looks great too.
post #30 of 52 Old 07-20-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
...Gold connectors help a little, there's a reason why NASA uses them....
Very little, unless both connectors are gold plated. In fact if one is Tin plated and the other Gold you could have problems from dissimilar metals. That NASA uses them is irrelevant to the discussion.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page