2Likes
  • 1 Post By TCARCIO
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are the best HDMI cables available over 10 feet or less?

Hi there,

What are the best HDMI cables on the market for short runs?

Are they still the Monoprice Redmeres.

Thanks.

Last edited by Garet Jax; 06-13-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I use redmere cables and they work great. You can get them at www.monoprice.com They are directional and need to be installed correctly. Here is a link. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1WKRgtiEuI6KhA
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
At 6' or less, the Parts Express Super Slim cables are less than half the price of the Redmere cables, don't have active electronics and are the exact same thickness as Redmere cables.

For lengths over 6' that aren't permanently installed the Redmere is great.

http://www.parts-express.com/Search....itesearch=true

I have used about 40 of these cables so far without a single issue with 1080p video. I've used them with couplers to take them the last couple of feet to a display, I've used them with HDBaseT, and I've used them as standard interconnects. No issues at all. I have tested them with a HDMI tester as well, all without a single cable failure.
ellisr63 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Blue Jeans Cable makes some of the best cables around. For that short of a length, the have a brand called Tartan. It is available through Amazon. Very reasonable prices and very good quality. For longer cable lengths (more than 15') I would highly recommend the Blue Jeans Cable with Belden cable. Belden cable is still made in the USA as well if that makes a difference to you (does to me).

BT1
post #5 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I have a 30' Redmere HDMI, and it works fine for me.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
What are the best HDMI cables on the market for short runs?’ – anything carrying the High Speed logo will do fine.

There is Zero reason to go with an ‘active’ cable for such short cable runs.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #7 of 16 Old 06-14-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Any certified high speed HDMI cable from a reputable mfr will do. Monoprice, MediaBridge, or BlueJeans all make good cables. If you want flexibility and no strain on the connector end, you could use Redmere but that would probably be an overkill if you have short runs. In that case, you could probably even use a thinner gauge wire cable. HDMI cables either work or they don't for a given length. There are no perceptible differences in audio/video between properly working cables. That's all marketing.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Got my HDMI cables here at very low price! http://www.electronicwholesalersonli...u/hdmi-cables/
post #9 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottelsmith614 View Post
Got my HDMI cables here at very low price! http://www.electronicwholesalersonli...u/hdmi-cables/
Wow. They list: HDMI Cable (v1.4 high speed with ethernet). First of all, there is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable. That's the hardware spec and they are not supposed to label their cables with the hardware version according to HDMI.org, the HDMI licensing organization. So that's suspect right there. $10 for a 0.5M (18 inches) seems expensive to me especially if the labeling is suspect, and I don't see where they are certified as well.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-19-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

He's asking about HDMI cables and I don't see any listed on your product list.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So I am looking at replacing my HDMI cables with newer ones. I have a Boxee Box, Dish Hopper, Denon Reciever, TV and Xbox One. Was thinking of getting these
6ft 10.2Gbps Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology - Black

I don't need anything longer as all my stuff is in my entertainment cabinet. Based on the posts, these would not be a good choice given 6' length? I am interested in mainly the Deep Color features in the HDMI cable. Other option I looked at is the AmazonBasics 2-Pack High-Speed HDMI Cables Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return, 6.5 feet but do not see Deep Black as a feature in those....

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #12 of 16 Old 06-29-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Does your tv or blu-ray player support Deep Color? Are there any sources encoded with Deep Color? Any Certified High Speed HDMI cable will do. I believe Deep Color is part of the HDMI 1.4 specs so it would be supported if you have a source that is encoded with it. Don't worry about HDMI ethernet because there aren't any devices that support it. Redmere cables will work fine but they are a bit of an overkill if you cable runs are only 6'.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-30-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
So I am looking at replacing my HDMI cables with newer ones. I have a Boxee Box, Dish Hopper, Denon Reciever, TV and Xbox One. Was thinking of getting these
6ft 10.2Gbps Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology - Black

I don't need anything longer as all my stuff is in my entertainment cabinet. Based on the posts, these would not be a good choice given 6' length? I am interested in mainly the Deep Color features in the HDMI cable. Other option I looked at is the AmazonBasics 2-Pack High-Speed HDMI Cables Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return, 6.5 feet but do not see Deep Black as a feature in those....
I ended up getting 3 60 foot redmere cables and 7 shorter (< 7 foot) ones. Unfortunately, only 1 of the 3 long redmere cables worked. I ended up not even opening the shorter ones.

I chatted with two technicians at Monoprice and they told me that the premium high speed 24awg cables were recommended to connect sources (cable boxes, consoles, blu ray players, etc...) to receivers. I asked them some direct questions about using Redmere cables and did not receive anything definitive. I took this to mean that the redmere cabling was really intended to connect a source directly to a TV with nothing in between.

Since that is not my case (I have everything centrally located in a rack in my unfinished area), I decided to stay away from Redmere.

I ended up using the Blue Jeans Cables Series-FE HDMI cables for connecting everything together in my rack. I also used a 25 foot Series-1 cable to connect one receiver to a TV. The Series-FE cables are high speed certified upto 15 feet - the Series-1 cables are high speed certified upto 25 feet. The other TV is connected using a monoprice HDMI HBaseT extender. For now, all my problems seem to have disappeared.

I will do lots more testing before claiming victory.

Last edited by Garet Jax; 06-30-2014 at 08:29 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-30-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Garet, I use the cheap Parts Express cables I linked above in combination with Monoprice HDBT extenders and they work great. There are similar ones all over with very strong reviews as well, but at 6' or less, you can get by with the $5 cables if the rest of the gear in between is solid.

At 50+ feet, you have to go to a premium product in my experience. Lots of talk about Redmere issues, so it's HDBT, or the Monoprice 22AWG HDMI cables (very heavy gauge) for me. Blue Jeans Cables are great, and I'm not going to knock them at all.

I also run a centrally distributed setup, so the management of cabling is a paramount concern of mine, which is why I love the HDBT in combination with a thin HDMI cable. I get solid 1080p performance throughout my home.

Just gotta get my Crestron switcher installed so really take things up a notch.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Garet, I use the cheap Parts Express cables I linked above in combination with Monoprice HDBT extenders and they work great. There are similar ones all over with very strong reviews as well, but at 6' or less, you can get by with the $5 cables if the rest of the gear in between is solid.

At 50+ feet, you have to go to a premium product in my experience. Lots of talk about Redmere issues, so it's HDBT, or the Monoprice 22AWG HDMI cables (very heavy gauge) for me. Blue Jeans Cables are great, and I'm not going to knock them at all.

I also run a centrally distributed setup, so the management of cabling is a paramount concern of mine, which is why I love the HDBT in combination with a thin HDMI cable. I get solid 1080p performance throughout my home.

Just gotta get my Crestron switcher installed so really take things up a notch.
AV,

Thanks a lot for your participation in this thread. I really appreciate it. Once I had trouble with Monoprice cables, I very seriously considered going with the parts express cables. The real reason I didn't is because I called BJC and talked at length to them. I really wanted to solve my issues. The cost to me was a much smaller issue than getting it to work. These problems have been long standing - my integrator has been unable (more unwilling to commit the time) to solve them so I took the bull by the horns. The guy from BJC really helped me understand the reason I would use each cable.

For future cable needs and for others looking to solve similar issues, parts express is definitely something to consider.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-01-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Bodean said 'So I am looking at replacing my HDMI cables with newer ones' - unless you are having problems with your installed cables there is no compelling reason to replace your cables.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page