Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Splitting HDMI signal in half

Hello everyone.
Facing a bit of an issue, hopefully someone can help me out. Anyway, I need to take a 1920x1080 HDMI signal and split it in half so that each split signal has a 960x1080 resolution. The 2 split HDMI signals will go into 2 monitors, each monitor displaying half of the picture, both monitors displaying the whole picture at 1920x1080 resolution. Anyone know of a good device that can achieve this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I'm struggling on the application of this. Monitors don't have 960x1080 resolution that I know of, and that's not even close to a standard video resolution.

There are inexpensive video-wall processors which can do something similar to this, but if the signal is originating from a computer, they why not use a video card with two outputs and setup the computer to send half the image to one screen and half to the other.

Still, in 15+ years doing this, the resolutions are you are talking about are extremely strange, and the cost involved may be far more than simply getting standard gear of some sort.

By example: Some displays have built in video wall capabilities. You feed the same image to both displays, and the displays internally split the signal in half and show only the proper half they are setup to display.

So, a bit more information would be helpful as it sounds like you really have two 1920x1080 displays that should spread a 1920x1080 image across both of those displays. You don't do that by making an input 960x1080, you do it by processing the image into two 1920x1080 images, each one containing only half of the original 1920x1080 image. The products to do this, real time, are not inexpensive.

ie: http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=mgp464w

What you are creating is called a 1 by 2 (1x2) video wall.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Agree with AV_I - a bit more info required on the application, there are lots of ways to achieve a multi monitor array (assuming you have the budget???).

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Blank. I got nothing. But i will subscribe to this thread.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm trying to spread out the video over 50 LCD screens. The video wall was set up by a company called 'Prysm'. Right now there are 2 videos being played on both sides of the videowall. Essentially the videowall is split in half with 25 screens playing one video and the other 25 playing another. Each side of the videowall uses a videowall processor called the 'Prysm IP1'.
http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/avcat..._Datasheet.pdf

Instead of 2 separate videos, I wanted all 50 screens to show a single video. I think this might be way easier than I anticipated. I think I could easily split the signal from the media source and put each output into each of the IP1s. Using the web GUI, I can set each 25 set of LCDs to display half the video. I haven't played around with the configuration interface for any Prysm devices though so I am not 100% sure this can be done (I'm 90% sure). Anyone have any experience with the IP1s?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 265
If it is setup as two 5x5 video walls, then there are a number of ways to do things still. I believe that the Prysm units can be set to be a part of a single large video wall (5x10) with one unit controlling one half, and one controlling the other, in which case you just split the HDMI feed and the IP1 will handle video appropriately. In fact, I'm pretty darn sure this should be possible.

If the feed is from a PC, then creating a feed across two full monitor outputs at 1080p with a 2-headed HDMI (or DVI) video card will produce the highest image quality and you can feed two discrete 1080p inputs into the video wall IP1 units and get excellent results.

Prysm is a very high end product.
http://www.prysm.com/video-walls/

I applaud the use of this phenomenal technology, and would look at their product pages, and even give them a call directly to discuss the setup options.

From this page, there's a PDF on the Display Manager software, which appears to operate through a web platform. Perhaps logging in directly to the IP1 units can give you setup capabilities.

This all should be relatively easy to accomplish every bit of what you are looking to do, rather cheaply, or even free, I'm expecting.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

'I think this might be way easier than Ianticipated' – just a wild guess but how about putting in a call to Prysm
http://www.prysm.com/contact-us/

Even the most basic Videowall will be able to do ‘singles’.

It is amazing how many Videowall installs need to be ‘rescued’due to a lack of a long term planning for there operation and maintenance.

Joe

post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2014, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

PS Just reread your line ‘Instead of 2 separate videos, Iwanted all 50 screens to show a single video.’ – that’s a 2x1 ‘stretch’ and is going to look very odd unless you pre format your content or your content is very abstract and its not a problem to stretch it.

If you wish to retain any ‘formatting’ of your content you would have to work on a 2x2 grid and ‘spread’ your content over either the top or bottom row of the grid to then allow the processor to further ‘split/tile’ the 1920x540 image across the 'two' banks of displays.

A simple 'tip' with Videowall content production is to use an acetate or similar 'overlay' on your graphics monitor with the videowall 'grid' you are working on drawn onto the acetate.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Fernand; 06-29-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page